Wednesday, October 11, 2017

I Am the Food Processor

This is only a small portion of the share this week.  First thing, I took half of the peppers, apples, some squash and potatoes and brought a bag to the boys next door.  We had a stalk of brussell sprouts last week too.  The boys got half and we just finished the other half tonight.  Teddy chewed on the stalk outside at camp this weekend.  A bunch of Roma tomatoes went right into zippies, then into the freezer.
 
The next task was to cut the leaves off of all the cruciferous veggies, peel five apples, cut and core them.  There was also the end of a head of broccoli and a few choice ends left, which I cut up for soup and stock.  The stock was made with the carcass of a rotisserie bird, four corn cobs from last week and other odds and ends.  That will be the base for a corn and broccoli soup with cous-cous tomorrow night (it's in the mini-crockpot now). I used some for dinner tonight too.


The leaves, stalks, guts from a squash, apple cores and peels, made it into a jar and a half of veggie slop.  The pup was underfoot the entire time, eating bits that fell on the floor.  This is her portion for tonight -- also to include a few big hunks of broccoli stalk that I pulled out of the stock.


There have been so many apples that I had to make a pie.  Being crunched for time, I used a packaged crust.  I had made the pie, the veggie slop, and started the stock even before I made dinner!

This whole farm share thing is just so much work.  The one member of the house who thinks it's the best thing ever is Teddy.  The volume of food that comes out of it for her is amazing -- and unlike Mommy and Daddy (the pie eaters), she's not getting fat!

11 comments:

  1. Teddy looks like she is ready. She will eat vegetables? How much is your farm share each week? Do you have to pay by the year like people do here or by quarter? It seems if you use it in huge portions it is easier than trying to use it through the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm share worked out to $24 per week -- which is more than we normally would spend on veggies but I figured I try because of the supposed quality. What I am finding is that most stuff is bordering on overripe. Or we get too much of one particular thing at a time. And yes, Teddy eats veggies -- she loves them!

      Delete
  2. All those veggies sound so good and healthy. The pie looks yummy but even looking at it will make me gain weight. Teddy is one fit pup. She is a beautiful dog. One day, I will have a dog too but, right now, I would not confine one in a small apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Teddy is slim because she does not eat pie! She does well even when we are in a small trailer -- as long as we get her out for exercise. But it is hard to have a large dog in a small space. Or it gives you more reason to cuddle?

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain. I just spent an hour making refrigerator pickles out of the remains of the cucumber harvest. I keep cutting back on my garden size and/or trying to plant a greater variety of stuff but smaller quantities of all of it. I think I'm getting closer to coming out right in terms of quantity.

    There was that year that I planted a bunch of tomatoes from seed and then didn't have the heart to thin them... I can't remember how many plants I ended up with, but the harvest was ridiculous - like bushels of tomatoes! I spent weeks cooking them down into sauce, and vowed to never again go quite that overboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am freezing the Roma's whole because I don't have time to deal with them! When I worked in an office and we had a pear tree, I just bought bushels into the office. That is one good thing about working outside your home!

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain, we've been done getting shares for a few weeks now. I don't miss it and most of it is in the freezer so we will appreciate it in the dead of winter. Our pup likes the dropped bits too. He'll eat most anything. The pie looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to get a separate freezer but then you do need the time to process it all. If I took care of the whole share, it would have taken twice or three times as long. It will be over for us in a few weeks too -- and that will be a big relief!

      Delete
  5. I do not have an abundance of anything, but I do admire the way you share and/or use it all. I would give my first born for that stalk of Brussels sprouts. I love them roasted with olive oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only recently had I even known what they looked like on the stalk. Now I am happy to get them that way. And of course, so is Teddy. Roasted is the best way to eat them.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing an amazing post. With a Vegetable Chopper, you can get the perfect shape in less time and less mess. We can help you to find the best vegetable choppers in the market.

    ReplyDelete