Sunday, October 23, 2016

Age and Reinvention

We had an awesome team outing on Thursday night after work -- a local brewery tour, followed by dinner.  I had been feeling odd being the old lady at work but things are really working out.  Being social with a group that is so much younger had me a bit intimidated, but it was all in my head.  I had something in common with everyone and it was so much fun.

At the end of dinner, one of the ladies mentioned how she's feeling age pressure because she's 44. I told her I had ten years on her and the talk turned to staying relevant when conventional wisdom says a woman over fifty out of work might as well give up.  My advice to them was to keep their energy and enthusiasm and never be afraid to change your image and mindset when you embark on something new.  It was really heartening for four of these ladies to actually say I was an inspiration because I was able to make forward moves year after year, and am always eager to learn new skills.

When I worked at the bank, I couldn't be outrageous. I managed to push the envelope in small ways.  In the technology department, I wore crazy tights and stockings.  That wouldn't fly in credit, so I became known for my jewelry and funky glasses.  Now I'm in a young and hip workplace and I can be anything I want.  With cooler weather on the way, I decided that I'm going to be who and what I want this season and not hold back. 

As a redhead, I often compare myself to Peg Bundy.  My contemporaries get that and mostly agree. I have a bit of Dolly in me too.  Being enamored of shiny things, flashy jewels, wild animal prints and never quite managing to look "expensive," Peg and Dolly probably are my fashion alter-egos.  It's nice I'm at a point in my life these days where that won't hurt my career image.

Today I did some fall shopping and came back with the three pieces above. I can't wait to start wearing them and not have to worry that I'm pushing any envelope.  I'm no fashion plate and won't be putting my wardrobe on Pinterest any time soon. I do plan on dressing for myself and feel so liberated not having to adhere to a corporate dress code.  You're never too old to feel young!
 

4 comments:

  1. I get the age thing. I remember when I was the youngest one at work and also the oldest! It was a shock to my system, believe me. I know I probably dress too young for my age, but I buy what I like, regardless. Well, without going way overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have the figure to dress really young anymore, but I'm glad to be out of the knee length skirt required dress code of the bank. I'm re-thinking everything since I've had to banish high heels from my wardrobe, so I like having a casually oriented opportunity. I thin that helps break the age barrier too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a long time, my earrings were my trademark--always long, colorful or shiny, and with different motifs. Some I made; some were bespoke--traded sewing for those. I made all my clothes from the same pattern. The blouse pattern was also the top to a dress. The skirt was the bottom of the dress. Then, there were pants. I could wear pants and top, dress, or top and skirt. I drafted the top, skirt, and pants pattern.

    Today, I was in a bank, getting a statement to prove I paid ATT. I commented that I am too old to deal with ATT shenanigans. She was about 25 and sick of them, too. I mentioned I was 70 and she was shocked, saying I looked about 40, asking if I were telling the truth.

    My figure is not young. But, I don't dress "old." A black cardigan, black pants, and hot pink blouse with long earrings does it for me.

    Plus, I have the energy when talking. Fibromyalgia may kill me, but I still try every day!!!

    Love your blog!

    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the new job's going well and that you're no longer constrained by dress code boundaries. I think we're a lot more productive when we're able to dress how we want to. Following a code means conforming and showing restraint. Its not healthy. x

    ReplyDelete