Wednesday, October 12, 2016

End of the Season Basil

With temperatures dipping towards freezing earlier in the week, I was desperate to save some of my basil.  Three plants were the size of bushes and there was no way I was going to let that much wither away from the cold.

Many people chop their fresh herbs and put them into ice cube trays with water or oil.  Not me, as I want large quantities for pesto.  Instead, I chopped it up, mixed it with a lot of oil, put it in this baking dish, covered it with plastic wrap and froze it.  I'll then cut it into big chunks so each portion will be enough for a batch of pesto.

I can live with dried basil in recipes all winter and would rather save my stash for homemade pesto.  I'll have to see what else in the garden I can save before it gets cold for good.

Now, on a totally unrelated note, my posting came to a halt because blogger was not letting me pull my images into a post.  I found a work-around for anyone else who experiences it.  Switch to HTML mode, insert the image, then go back to compose mode. It's a pain in the neck, but it got the job done!

No comments:

Post a Comment