Saturday, October 1, 2016

Going Nuts

Are you crazy for nuts? As a daily consumer of nuts, sometimes it's hard to pull everything together if I'm in a hurry.  Lately, the cabinet where our nuts are stored had become a jumbled mess of bags.  Today, I decided to deal with it.  I put each bag into a jar -- a good plan since I obsessively hoard jars and need to make use them or else they'll pile up to become another jumbled mess!  Of course I didn't have an equal amount of jar space for all of the bags, so I made up a couple of jars of mixed nuts -- pecans, walnuts, almonds, peanuts and sunflower seeds.  This is a mixture I love over salads and also eat every morning.  A typical morning meal for me is a multi-grain english muffin, peanut/almond butter, chia seeds, jam, and mixed nuts.  Each day I've been opening a bag of each and pulling a few out.  Now all I'll have to do is reach into the jar.

 We eat a lot of seeds too.  I'm a big fan of both chia and sesame.  With too much chia for one jar and not enough sesame for another, it made sense to pull together another mixed jar.  I'll sprinkle the mixture over bread before I bake it, mix it with cheese and bake that over burritos, and also use it in salads and dressings.  I also put together a jar of cinnamon sugar -- using natural sugar (it's not white), the rest of a previous jar of cinnamon sugar, and a pinch of nutmeg.  This will be used on toast and also in pancakes and for french toast.
 

There were also assorted bags that I didn't have jars for -- roasted and raw sunflower seeds and pine nuts.  These are being stored in a big zippy bag for now.

The good thing is that the shelf these items were on is now orderly again, but even better is that I have health nuts stored conveniently which will make it easy for me to use them. 

We don't have a lot of storage space in our little kitchen and we like to eat healthy foods.  Nuts play a part of our daily diet and it was worth the time and effort to make some order of it all.

7 comments:

  1. Looks great! We go through phases with nuts as well. I'm a big pistachio lover, but they are so expensive! Usually I resort to almonds, because they are better for the budget. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I just spent 12 bucks on pistachios today! They were on sale plus I got two bucks off if I got more then $10 worth. I looove them but do only buy on sale because of the price.

      Delete
  2. Fellow jar hoarder here! I recently re-did my "pantry" (a generous term) and put everything into jars rather than the boxes or bags it came it. Aside from the neatness factor, it has the added benefit of keeping out pantry moths, meal worms etc. - plus the fact that they're air tight keeps things fresher longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, they visually help too. I cram bags in and then can't see what's in them so I forget. They take up space as they get empty, and I try to keep them full -- pour out the older stuff, add the new, then put the old on top. It is some work!

      Delete
  3. Jars are becoming a staple to help contain my loose bags but I'm trying not to oversees more than I use. I love that they let me see contents. My only wish would be square jars to fit better. I reuse pasta jars the most particularly if pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love cashews and typically buy a couple of cans a week at Aldi's.

    ReplyDelete