Sunday, April 23, 2017

Spring is Springing

Spring bulbs are coming up in our garden.  The beds are a mess but other than scraping out leaves, I try not to thinking about weeding or really making the plantings look nice.  There have been too many years I pulled out something that I shouldn't have, thinking it was a weed.  Our yard is bunny central these days.  Since there is nothing they can damage, it doesn't bother me because I think they are cute.  We have a small rabbit escape hole so they have a way to exit if Teddy takes notices.  Teddy loves bunnies, but I don't think she'd actually touch one.

This scraggly looking planter should be OK in a while.  Stone-crop is coming back and I will divide it and also plant some flowers in with it.  Anything on this fence bakes so only high sun tolerant plants can go here.

Rosemary and lavender came back.  Since we offered basil to a friend last year, we don't have any as she pulled it out -- so there is nothing to grow back.  This year, the winter was mild enough that I think it would have come back.  More is on order.

We have lots of plants to split this year and have also got a stuff on order.  We don't put as much time, effort and money as we should into the backyard because we spend so much time at camp.  OK, and we are lazy.  I have garden envy for the many great efforts I see in our area.  But the reality is I am lazy and rely more on perennials and low-effort plantings.  It's nice to see so much came back this year!

6 comments:

  1. Perennials are my favorite because I hate buying things over and over and digging, even when I could dig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me that I can kill things that are supposed to be hardy. Then things I ignore come back. Well, the garden is not my domain so I'm not going to worry. But I care about the herbs because they are for cooking!

      Delete
  2. We have bunnies too and they are cute unless the cat leaves one on the stoop not too cute then. I am still upset about Teddy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Teddy would like a bunny to cuddle with right about now!

      Delete
  3. Your bulbs look beautiful!

    You know the old gardening adage, don't you? if you're not sure if something is a plant or a weed, tug on it gently. If it comes out easily, it was a plant, if not, it's a weed! :-)

    Anyhow, my front yard is FULL of what you're calling "stonecrop" - I call it silver stone sedum. It loves the hot dry climate here, although I tried leaving a patch to its own devices last summer when I got too busy to water and alas, even it needs watering here because it shriveled up and died. So I expanded my drip irrigation system (just soaker hoses) to include the sedum and we'll see if it comes back. Seriously though, you don't need to do anything special to propagate the stuff, just break off a sprig and stick it in the ground - it will sprout roots and take over... um, I mean grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done well with stone crop/sedum. I even like to bring some to camp because if we are away for an extra week, it still manages to survive. Luckily, other full-times will water my planters and that helps!

      Delete