Sunday, January 14, 2018

Living the Dream?

I must admit to being a bit of a hypocrite lately.   My absence from blogging has been the result of having too much going on.  In the past few years, I have moved slowly away from my objective of living small, swayed by the comfort of a growing salary and the obsession of amassing as much investment income as possible.  My house has been neglected, my health and my husband's health have suffered, and I've rationalized it all with the thought that "Of course what you do is hard, that's why they pay you so much money."  The other truth is that I've gotten careless with spending that money because I had more of it than I ever had before.  Luckily, I have come to my senses and have been gifted with an opportunity to jump off the corporate merry-go-round, and get back the the place where I had originally planned to be in my mid-fifties.


Last winter was very difficult for me because I accepted a job in 2016 that required a tremendous amount of work with very little preparation.  As a result, I over-worked myself into a serious enough repetitive stress injury that I had to go on disability.  My employer insisted I go out on Workers Comp, but then the carrier refused to pay so litigation was required.  It was stressful, but I prevailed -- although my employer could have insisted the insurer pay, they declined to assist.


Once back at work, I assembled a respectable book of business and serviced it very effectively.  I still had a lot to learn and there was a lot of stress because the gaps between what our product could provide and what the client needed were often at odds.  Despite the challenges, I created sound alliances and have had good success.  Some serious bombs were dropped that resulted an account or two being at risk -- but I managed to salvage relationships and do what needed to be done.  The problem I faced was that most of what I had to do was much more difficult than it needed to be due to the massive size of what my employer delivers.  In spite of a lot of overtime that is required for a third of the year, there is also the expectation that we won't take time off, we will monitor our emails at night and on weekends, and that we are to bring our laptops home and on vacation.

Having experienced a measure of success and seeing what it entails, and how that will encroach more with time on account of being awarded larger clients, I am tossing it all aside.  It's not a small life, and it's not the life I want to live. So on Monday I gave my notice and soon I will be semi-retired.

A good friend has a need of someone with a sound work-ethic and general business experience to handle the operations end of her growing start-up.  I look forward to getting back into the world of small business, where each day is not a series of triage efforts fraught with tension and anxiety, where I work with people I really know.  I'll be working 24 hours per week and earning a nice wage.  Less per hour than my salary had broken down to in the corporate world.  But then again, my salary wasn't that great given all of the obligatory over-time.  We can get benefits from The Big Guy's company.  I will have time each day to pick up clutter, cook a healthy meal and get some exercise for me and the dog.  While I work more at home, TBG can exercise and relax more when he gets home.  We both win.


I am looking forward to re-dedicating my life to the basics.  With any luck, I'll have more interesting things going on again and have material to post about.  It may take me a few weeks, but I promise, I'm coming back!

22 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting off the merry-go-round! Although your paycheck will go down your standard of living and happiness will definitely increase!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can say I have been making myself and my husband miserable. Things will be much improved in two weeks!

      Delete
    2. And your friends, too. Don't forget your friends–you make them miserable too!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy for you! Definitely hoping to join you with a similar change, sometime this summer. I've had the "this is why they pay you the big bucks" argument with myself many, many times. I don't want that life, but it's very hard to walk away from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had a few people make comments that they couldn't do what I am doing because they have mouths to feed and are more responsible. We have lived frugally for years and that's why we can afford this. I hope you make a similar change. It says a lot about having faith in yourself. I will be watching out for you!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Glad to hear you didn't stay on the merry-go-round too long, as it can be tough to make a drastic change once you're on the ride. Been reading a long time, and this move sounds very true to you! I'm very happy for you. ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dianne, your comment means a lot. I use this blog to keep me true and on the straight and narrow. It figures when I've taken a break, it's because I am deviating!

      Delete
    2. Very kind of you to say! It can be tough to take a leap of faith, but you've laid the ground work & you've got this! ~Dianne

      Delete
  4. That is a big decision to make. But, you know your life and expectations of yourself. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a test for our lifestyle when we retire too. If we can't exist on our new income, it means our lifestyle won't be supportable in retirement. It will have a big impact and it's going to be an adjustment for sure.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you put yourself first. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to finally be able to do that. Now I plan to put TBG first! He was definitely coming in second.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! In my admittedly limited experience with earing larger sums of money, the gain one gets from the money is more than cancelled out by the intangible costs. It's good that you were able to sock away money for retirement. My bet is that you'll find it much easier to live on less when you actually have the time and space to be a human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the best way to find out if it's possible, is to do it. And I think your last sentence sums it up best!

      Delete
  7. I don't know what happened to my comment from yesterday. I think you're very brave to quit such a well-paying job and wish you much happiness in your latest endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie! I think we've both been through a lot in finding our way professionally. I am thankful that now I a closer to retirement, the more flexibility I have.

      Delete
    2. Blogger does strange things with comments! You and I have had a lot of career ups and downs in the past couple of years. It's amazing how good it feels to get *out* of a job!

      Delete
  8. Good for you, Alex. You could also parlay your experience and offer yourself as a consultant to your former business. My husband has done this and it works out great. Yay you for sticking to your values!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie! I'm getting different business sector experience with each job I've taken which will help if I want to consult too. I am also getting nice messages from the clients I am saying goodbye to and this has helped me build my LinkedIn presence -- all things to help me sustain the potential for consulting opportunities. I think my leaving for a better balance is sending a serious message to management too.

      Delete
  9. Best wishes for your "new life"...you are remarkable and a good example to all of us. I retired a couple years ago at the age of 61 and made many changes to live a simpler life. I live a very comfortable life now, free to spend my time and resources as I wish...and enjoying every moment of it! My wish for everyone is to be able to have this experience before they die. It may mean re-writing your life a bit, but, in the long run, it's more of a life without paying for all the toys and material things and trying to keep up with what some people view as a normal way to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathie that is such an encouraging message! I am looking forward to leaving the worry I have from dealing with problems at work, day in and day out. Just being free of that will change the color of my world -- I can't wait!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations from a long time reader. Sometimes stepping back shows you the best path.

    ReplyDelete