Tuesday, January 30, 2018

My Skin Hack

I have had adult acne for years. It hasn't gone away with menopause, but I can say that it is not as bad as it used to be. Prescription strength Retinol cream was a real life-saver for me.  That might sound dramatic, but it's hard to face the world, when your face is full of pimples. When it was at its worst, a kid asked me if  I had chicken pocks!


Once over 40, it was difficult to get my insurance to cover a prescription.  My doctor would justify it and then the Rx could be filled.  Once I got near 50, that became impossible.  Before going generic, the stuff was expensive and I could not use FSA dollars to pay for it unless my health insurance covered it.  As a result, I started to experiment with ways to stretch out a tube and also save money.

There are three particular OTC brands of this cream that I thought worked OK, but not great.  There are various formulations and not all are as effective as the prescription product.  Some dried my skin too much.  CVS had a formula that I liked, but it was $30 for an ounce.  One issue is that this stuff is now being used for wrinkle prevention.  That isn't my main concern.  I just don't want to break out!

I've concocted my own mix of prescription cream, along with the CVS product and two other OTC formulations that I find inexpensively at Big Lots.  I've been happy with a mixture of all four and have been managing to stretch out the small supply I have of a prescription tube.

There are now lower price Retinol products available that I might be able to use in the future.  For now, my solution saves me a lot of money.  There are so many fancy anti-aging creams that are outrageously expensive.  I just can't see spending that kind of money on my face.  I have an inexpensive collagen cream that I use on my eyes and upper lip, and a COQ10 cream for my neck (Lacura, the Aldi brand is one I like).  Big Lots sells a line that is made in Israel (I don't know the brand), and also carry Nicel products. I think you can get those in Walmart too.  I will even use Argan oil hair products (serum) on my neck and upper chest. My morning moisturizer is Skinutrition - which I buy in bulk at Dollar Tree whenever I see it (which is not often).

I believe in taking care of my skin but I don't believe in double and triple digit, expensive beauty products.  Sometimes it means using things off-label, or mixing them together.  I don't care about brand names, just keeping my skin clear and moisturized.

What do you use on your skin and what do you like about it?

8 comments:

  1. When I reached 60, I had a nose and chin that always looked like it had been peppered, little blackheads, I guess. I used a 1/2 tsp of corn meal and one drop of my shampoo and a sprinkle of water. I mixed this on one palm to use as a scrub. It worked as a scrub and made my complexion finer, closing the pores for longer. Then, needing a bit more, I used Oil of Olay Age Defying Complex on my nose and chin. I accidentally rubbed it under my eyes and some brown spots came off. Actually, it was where my glasses touched my skin and made these spots. Finally, I started rubbing it on my face, but not everyday. I DO NOT use it for anything other than closing pores. I am not trying to get rid of wrinkles. Then, I decided my neck needed the same treatment. I rarely think of putting it on my neck or face, but I do put it on my nose and chin several times each week.

    I never had acne, thankfully. I was the only child of five who did not have acne. The most I ever had on my face was one or three during my period.

    Would you share exact names of products you use?

    Oh, one thing I found that stops any kind of blemish. I keep a couple of aspiring crushed in a little container. If I see the start of anything, I dampen the spot and put my damp finger in the aspirin and dab it on the wet place on my face. It works. A skeptical teen was a believer after I fixed a place before a party. You just have to remember to gently wipe off the aspirin from your face.

    Remember, it is one tiny drop of shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try this as the size of my pores are more apparent these days. The products at Big Lots don't show a brand on them, but they are distributed by R.M. 3 Kashami St, Telaviv -- they are made in Israel and have dead sea minerals in them. I really like them a lot. A 1.6 oz jar is four bucks. The Nicel moisturizer isn't expensive either and I like it because it is light. I hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I too suffered from adult onset acne all through my adult life until I was about 50. So frustrating and painful. It is gone now, and I still have some scaring. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was relieved that the Retin-A I used helped with the scarring I had from my early 20's. A few of my cousins had to use Accutane and I am glad I my prescription worked. I do hope it is tapering off!

      Delete
  3. Most of my skin problems went away when I stopped using skin products completely. I mean, no make up, no lotion, no soap or cleansers, just water. The only wrench in my system is that I do need sunscreen - especially when I'm out on the bike for 4+ hours. Plus, you need soap to remove the sunscreen, so all of that does cause the occasional breakout, but it's still worlds better than it was before.

    CatMan used to suffer with horrible acne - and he read somewhere that retinol is essentially just vitamin A that has been changed slightly so they can patent it. He started taking a vitamin A supplement, and his skin problems disappeared. Not sure if that works for everyone, but if you're not taking vitamin A currently, it's certainly worth a try!

    Anyhow, best of luck with your homemade concoction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I am in a smaller office and my age doesn't matter, I am going to phase out makeup too. When I worked in an office of all male engineers, I stopped wearing it. I think I will regress!

      Delete
  4. I, too, used retinol for years. When I reached "that" age, my HMO let me know that it was no longer covered. I was paying $5 a tube for it. Seems like Medicare doesn't consider acne a medical problem, therefore, won't pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so frustrating that it is considered a medical problem for younger people and not for us. I have tried to stop using it all together, but I breakout on my chin and around my nose and it is very noticeable.

      Delete