Thursday, February 1, 2018

Bring your Dog to Work

I was one of the organizers for "Bring Your Dog to Work" day at my last job.  Unfortunately, I was out on disability when the actual day came along.  Now I am bringing Teddy to work with me every day.  It has been great!


Teddy is not the most adaptable dog, she gets very set in her ways.  She is up for anything outdoors, but can be funny in buildings.  I wasn't sure that she'd like going to an office, but my reservations were unfounded.  She loves it.  The people love her, and her doggie friend Maddie is there.  There is a third dog whom she met for the first time today, a pretty little girl named "Snoopy."  The dogs all get along and we take time each day to take Teddy and Maddie out for a quick break.

The office is near a creek that feeds into the Niagara River, about two blocks from a spot I used to drive to when I wanted to take a long walk with my girl.  Today we were there after work in about two minutes.  We did a short walk because the temperature dropped into the 20's and it was windy.  In the warmer weather, we will do much longer walks.  Being that close shaved 20 or so minutes off the time I used to need to do a river walk.

My schedule has shaped up to be four 6-hour days.  I don't take a lunch, so I need to bring a few snacks along in order to keep from being too hungry to go for a walk.  I have been chopping up an apple for Teddy and one of the architects feeds it to her.  She is willing to help them finish any food they don't want, and is very friendly with them without being in the way.  So it is working out well for all.

I've gained a few extra hours in my day because my commute time is about 1/4 of the time it used to be driving downtown, and I am at work three less hours per day.  Getting home earlier means I can de-clutter the house and get dinner started.  I get Teddy out for a longer walk on days I don't need to go to a store or run and errand.  I am not working tomorrow so I will treat myself to a coffee at Tim Horton's (and maybe even a doughnut), then clean the house.  I have coupons and a gift certificate! Instead of our usual Friday night dinner out, I will save money by making two lobsters (frozen, from Aldi, $9.99 each).  Since I am earning less, we won't eat out but I will probably make a "splurge" meal on Friday night.

I survived my first week and am happy with the new environment.  There is much less stress, it's quiet, everyone is friendly, and Teddy loves it.  What's not to like?  Even better, my dog is really tired every night from having such a full day.

9 comments:

  1. The music school where I used to work was a very dog friendly place, and it was wonderful. I've never had a dog as an adult, but I LOVED getting to have so many pooches around. I did learn that one cannot do things like, ahem, leave one's lunch bag on the floor under one's desk though! I'm still amazed that my co-worker's dog didn't suffer any medical damage from ingesting my sandwich, plastic bag and all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great environment, having them around. I am amazed at how affectionate my colleagues are with her. The grab her to hug, play tug and take time to pay attention to her. She does have good manners -- she will salivate over other's food, but doesn't take anything that isn't given to her. I could see her ingesting a sandwich bag!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great start to your new job. Even though we work from home Buddy is such good company during our work day, he is the only one who can make Dad break away for 5 minutes for a dog hug or play. Funny enough in his last job before we started the company there were dogs permitted and he had one that visited his office every single day, he would drop everything to pet it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great stress reliever. In my old office, it would not have worked -- it was too crowded. It was super stressful and I think she would have picked up on that. I think she was a little curious as to why we didn't go to work today.

      Delete
  3. Hubs never took our dog to work as we have too many wolves in the woods out here, and many lose their dogs in a terrible way to the packs. But those that did would laugh as the dogs would always sleep under hubs desk. the y would leave their masters and go to hub's office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy is beginning to figure out who will most likely react to her approaching with a toy. I know who her favorite is -- and it's not me!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this! It seems like more establishments are becoming pet friendly. How nice to be able to have your furbaby with you at work. I am contracted so I don't have that luxury - good for you, and Teddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had worked in a very small office five or six years ago and they would really not have minded either. Teddy was very young and a lot of trouble at that time. Now that she is older and more mellow it's the perfect fit. My new job is so informal that I have had to make a concerted effort to let my anxieties from the past go. Having Teddy a part of it truly help!

      Delete
  5. Its as if you had a great grasp on the subject matter, but you forgot to include your readers. Perhaps you should think about this from more than one angle. Pure balance dog food

    ReplyDelete