Sunday, February 18, 2018

I am a Jar-Head

I spent a lot of time this weekend filling jars.  TBG used to complain that I wouldn't put jars in the recycling tote.  He's changed his tune to indicate we need to plan for more storage space for them when we eventual re-do the kitchen.  He's seen how much we save and how much  healthier our meals are because of my jar obsession.


Last night I roasted a whole chicken.  Of course that meant making stock. As usual, I mixed my own stock with a store-bought box (from Dollar Tree).  This morning I saved the left-over coffee so I have some in the morning for the next few days.   We also needed more nut butter.  This time, it's almond, peanut & cashew.  I added chopped peanuts, almonds, pecans and walnuts.  There are three jars plus a little extra.  Yummy stuff!

Teddy relies on the jar routine too.  Her most recent batch of veggie slop is asparagus, crushed pineapple and blueberries.  She will gobble this up for sure.  I like using the smaller jars for her so when we travel or go away for the weekend, we don't have to bring so much. They also take up less space in the refrigerator and freezer.  It also takes less time to thaw a small jar.

I think I used a dozen jars in all.  In addition to the stuff stored in jars, there was also a large batch of iced tea, which will travel places in used salad dressing jars.  It is no exaggeration that I am a jar-head!

Do you jar too?

4 comments:

  1. I, too use a lot of jars. So, I suppose that makes me a jarhead, too. Explain the nut butter. Do you make your own? It is funny how men are on board when they see money being made or saved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make my own. What I do, is buy a jar of almond butter and peanut butter, then mix them together. This time, Price Rite had cashew butter too. I do this because almond butter is healthy, but so darned expensive! The other kinds are healthy too. I up the "nut" factor by chopping and adding nuts too. I will add a little extra peanut oil to make it easy to stir together. It turns out really good! Tommy loves it on toast with raw honey.

      Delete
  2. I can a lot so I always have pints and half pints available. I saved the odd jars for dehydrated stuff and for putting stuff in the frig. We now have to pay for recycling so finding alternate uses saved money in 2 ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thinking one of these days, our town will add an extra charge by the volume that you recycle. So many people put non-recyclables in, so it costs towns more. I try to be conscious of what I send to the dump -- whether it can be recycled or not.

      Delete