Monday, February 19, 2018

I am Territorial!

We headed up to North Tonawanda (referred to as "NT") for a walk today.  It does have a nice village-y field but is pretty deserted on Sunday morning (except for church traffic).  TBG often snow-shoes with a girl friend on Sundays, but there is no snow.  He was going to meet her for a walk and I put the wifey-kabosh on that.  I am sometimes territorial over time with my guy.  There is no problem if he wants to go snow-shoeing with someone else since I am not back to full form and can't participate.  But when it comes to a walk, I want to do it together.  If I was going to go for a long walk with the dog, it made no sense for him to go for a long walk with someone else.  Does that seem strange?  An additional walking mate would not have bothered me at all, but I wasn't going to sacrifice the time.



My favorite new route starts a few blocks away from the bridge that crosses the creek.  There is a small branch that the bridge crosses over, then we get on the main trail that goes up to the Erie Canal.  The sign next to the bridge actually shows that it is 90 miles to Rochester.  It was nice to walk over today without it being covered in ice.  Teddy and I walked the route yesterday too.  We like it because the wind doesn't have the same force or bite as it does along the river.  I walk this route after work many days.


 We went 3.5 miles, then turned around and came back.  Along the way, we spied boat houses that were closed up for the season, checked out the neighborhood streets along the way and just had generally nice conversation about the area.  It was a nice way to spend the morning and something we haven't had much of a chance to do for some time.


Teddy enjoyed rolling in what was left of the snow.  She is really a stop-drop-roll kind of dog.  The idea is not to pick up any sort of scent, but just because she likes the feel of the cold snow against her skin.  On the way back, there was a very long freight train going over the railroad bridge that is over the trail.  She watched it carefully as we approached, but as we got to the bridge, it was evident she was terrified.  Next time we will hang back.  While there are some fears she holds on to, this one probably won't stick.  Once we got to the end of the trail a short while later, she was totally focused on getting in the car so she could go home and get a banana.

Of course the two of us could have had just a fine walk on our own, but everything is better when TBG is around, and I don't mind staking my claim!

6 comments:

  1. You are way more tolerant than I would be about TBG's friends. Glad you made your wishes (demands?) known. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy grew up surrounded by sister and he actually makes female friends much more easily than male friends! Also, the friend who he could have gone with would totally understand.

      Delete
  2. I love that picture of Teddy rolling in the snow. Sometimes a nice long walk is just what the DR ordered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the dog who clings to the last patch of snow in the backyard as if she is the lone polar bear in the arctic. The long walks are doing us both a lot of good. This is my new favorite route!

      Delete
  3. I would not care who he grew up around, I would not want walking with another woman to be a habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't bother me but I can understand how it would be difficult for others. He always manages to have a BFF. With his back roads cycling, I don't like him out alone and his biking companions make me feel a lot better (he doesn't know any guys who want to do that). There are some things I just don't want to do -- like ride 40 miles over big hills. His BFFs are all the result of his cycling or spinning instructions. Some I am more fond of than others. It is sad when they get a boyfriend or mate and don't have as much time for him. That's why I claim first dibs. He's gonna have me forever!

      Delete