Tuesday, February 6, 2018

My Daily Do

It had been suggested to me at my last job that I had OCD.  Things that were disorganized or made no sense drove me crazy.  The thing is, I'm not obsessive, I'm efficient.  Having to do things three times because procedures were inaccurate or changing, taking chances that something you did was right -- with the idea that you could just go back and fix it later, drove me up a wall.


It's a bit like that at home.  When I have errands to run, I map them out so they are in an efficient order.  My meals are planned based on what we have and what will come next.  I re-use things so that I don't have to buy new.   And then there are things that I do that are probably on the edge of insanity.

What, you may ask, does my underwear have to do with this?  Well, it's a perfect example of my ingrained sense of efficiency.  I wash my underwear every night when I take my shower (which I do at night to save time in the morning because my hair won't be soaking wet).  When I was swimming, I washed my bathing suit in the shower.  When I was a runner, I washed my running clothes in the shower.  Everything gets hung to dry.  This means I save time because I'm already washing something.  It also means the articles last longer because they aren't going in the washer and dryer.  This is something I've done most of my life.

When I was growing up, I danced.  I had to pay for my own lessons and leotards, and I didn't have a lot of money.  I had two sets of tights and two leotards.  I washed them each night and hung them to dry.  I also started running in my early teens.  That meant I had a lot of stuff to wash that way.  Sometimes I'd take my shower with the plug in the drain so the tub would fill up and I'd have standing water to wash my stuff in.

Here I am, 40 years later, doing the same thing.  Does that make me crazy?

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like a good habit to me. Clothes worn for any exercise wash cleaner when washed immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with being efficient and organized .
    I used to act exactly like you about underwear, but, I must admit, it was mainly a money matter. Nowadays, when I have twenty pair of everything - washing can wait a few days.

    As for meals,it doesn't take me much planning if I know what's most important about them - to keep weight normal. If one does that and concentrates on low fat, low carb, both health and budget win. In winter it's more difficult than in summer, but, on the whole, the principle works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My washing habit drives my guy crazy because I do have plenty of underwear and I end up wearing the same few again and again because they are right in front of me in the morning.

      I should more emphasis on the meal/weight thing -- it is hard in the winter!

      Delete
  3. No you are not crazy, as I am the same way. We are efficient and people can't stand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer I am at it, the more efficient I have become, and the more I am bothered by anything wasted. I am glad I am not alone!

      Delete