Monday, April 9, 2018

Spice Infusion Packets

I have been making spice infusion packets in an attempt to use up some old coffee filters.   This is a way I can get flavor out of spices that I don't use as much because they aren't in powder form.  I love rosemary but the woody texture doesn't always work well with all the things I like and I also am sometimes not fond of the powder version if it doesn't fully dissolve.


While I know I can make an infusion in oil, sometimes I want the flavor without oil.  I've been bundling up the spice in a coffee filter, putting it in a jar, then pouring boiling water over it.  This steeps at least over night.  It isn't very strong -- which is fine by me for adding to things like quinoa.

 I've done this with left-over scallion greens too.  I just tie the stalks up with twine and submerge.

This jar sat over night and I used it in a garlicky flat bread recipe.  Hey, it's better than throwing it away and getting no flavor out of it!

If you are in a hurry, you just boil rather than let it sit in the jar.  However, if I know in advance I will want this, I can save the space of a pot on the top of the stove.  I am also going to start doing this in vinegar.  The main thing is that I can make these spice bags using coffee filters that I no longer have a use for.

Also, I want to thank the kind concern I've been shown over my neck.  I went to the chiropractor today as a follow up and got an adjustment.  He told me to finish the steroids and that I would fine.  He wants me to stop sleeping with a bun on top of my head because he things that cause the pulling and twisting that gave me the problem.  I guess I'll go back to taking my showers in the morning!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! What an interesting idea. Good thing you didn't use string with any dye in it! I'm thinking of the "blue soup" scene from Bridget Jones' Diary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a blue plastic clothespin and that was the reason I went with the wooden one!

      Delete
  2. Very cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at all those old coffee filters and figured I had to do something!

      Delete
  3. That is an interesting idea. Do you have a stash of them made ahead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing them one at a time as I have limited space and I run out of clothespins fast!

      Delete