Thursday, July 19, 2018

Basil in the Kitchen


Neighbor Dave gave me a fist-full of basil this afternoon when I went over the let him know I was putting the sprinkler on.  He suggested I freeze what I couldn't use -- but I intended to use it all.  Once I got it inside and cut the flowers away from the bunch, I decided they were too pretty to go to waste.  Now that I've done that, I have decided to do it more often.  I go out in the yard and cut the flowers off the basil all summer just to help keep the plants as leafy as possible. Generally, I just let them drop to the ground.


This bunch isn't only pretty, it is giving the kitchen a nice fresh basil smell.  The green looks very lively too.
















The basil itself got chopped and pounded a bit, then mixed into goat cheese with EVOO and garlic. I used it on Naan bread to make a pizza topped with chicken and sliced red pepper.  I love fresh basil for the taste, but I think I also now love it for the flowers.


4 comments:

  1. I haven't had much luck with herb gardening but what a cool way to use the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that I have success in alternating years, so I feel your pain!

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant idea! It's common to do that with lavender, so why not basil? I bet it would work with thyme and rosemary as well. As I have two dogs, four cats, a couple of cavies and a bunch of kids, I am always looking for ways to naturally sweeten the smell of the house. Consider this fair warning: I am shamelessly copying your idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am flattered that you think it's a good idea!

      Delete