Monday, March 27, 2017

Misadventures in Crafting

 They family who bought the foreclosure house next door, who have been doing nothing to fix it up, did have a dumpster day about a month ago.  Prior to the dumpster showing up, I found this on the curb outside the house.  It's an old-style bathroom vanity.  It had been a painted over a few times and was in rough shape.  But I grabbed it anyway.


The first thing I did was sand it down and remove as much of the paint splotches as possible.  It had a lot of crap on the front, rust on the sides, and the interior was painted pink.  The bathroom it was pulled out of was baby blue and pink.  Really horrible!

I managed to get the door painted black with Rustoleum, and the inside is white.  I could not completely restore the mirror as it had gotten grey/discolored around the edges. All my car in extracting it and cleaning it was for nothing.  Right before I put it back in, I gently set it on the floor to lean against the wall, to keep it out of my way.  A corner piece completely broke off!  I was able to join it back with duct tape and super glue.  Now it is solidly back in place.  

The finished product is OK. I don't know what I will use it for, but I could not see it going to a landfill!  This is not the best picture of it.  Once I get it situation somewhere nice, I'll take a better picture.

My other craft project that is less than perfect, is the copper wire-wrap I did for three stones. I bought this leather choker a while back but hadn't been able to use any of my existing pendants on it -- so I thought I'd make a new one.

I think I need to take more care in my projects.  But when you have as little time as I do, you're probably better off not starting them in the first place!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that mirror--the shape and ornamentation. I'm glad you rescued it. Your necklace looks fine from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We do also have an old front door in the basement. We want to put a sink/vanity in the basement one of these days and I was thinking of mounting this inside of that and then putting a pedestal sink or an old wall sink against it. I love the old style metal medicine cabinets and just couldn't pass this up!

      Delete
  2. It's always great rescuing things from the trash and making them awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It falls a little short of awesome since I didn't actually strip the paint, but I think it was worth saving for sure!

      Delete
  3. The vanity turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I am going to soon be plotting with my handy-man to do something with it...

      Delete