Sunday, May 20, 2018

Mix Mistress - The Camp Edition

I am always looking for economical ways to fight odor in the trailer's black tank (that tank holds sewage).  One camp wife's method was to flush a cup of Borax a week.  Another camper suggested powder dish wash detergent instead.  Then there are the pricey tank deodorants made specifically for RVs.  I have used all methods but decided to mix up my own this weekend, because Dollar Tree didn't have any of the cheap powder I like to buy.

The bag of powdered laundry detergent was $1.75 at Big Lots.  They did not have any dishwasher detergent, so I figured this could take the place of Borax.  I had most of a small box of baking soda on hand, so that was added to the mix in addition to the contents of two fragrance sachet envelopes (citrus scent).  I am storing this in a cheap Dollar Tree plastic pitcher. It will be easy to pour this into the toilet.   I can pour some in, add water, then scrub with the toilet brush, then flush.  We'll see how it works. I'll only be out six bucks if it's not a success -- however, it will have to be at least somewhat successful.  In the heat of summer, it's hard to find any sort of perfect solution.

We had a nice camp weekend.  The weather was not great -- but we did manage a nice fire on Saturday night.  A family from Quebec with three girls had the space next to us.  Teddy ignored us and adopted them -- she even sat with them at their fire because her lead could reach.  I have driven the wagon out for the past three weeks and it's running just fine.  So I guess this means the season is truly under way!

2 comments:

  1. I miss campfires. I guess we could have them here at the beach but things get so dry here in the summer they have already instituted a burning ban (campfires will be allowed for a couple more weeks though then those will be banned)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at the people who start their campfire and then leave it when they are ready to turn in for the night. They just leave it burning. I wait for ours to die down and always put the lid screen over it before we abandon it. I also can't believe the people who send of the Chinese lanterns -- we are on cliffs that have trees, leaves, bushes, etc.

    I do enjoy fires at night and am glad we are able to keep our own fire pit.

    ReplyDelete