Thursday, March 22, 2018

Making Time for Happiness

One thing I really like about my new job, is that no one ever says to me "You are so weird."  I know I am not a cookie cutter person and have my own unique traits, but I am good-natured and have never insulted a colleague.  OK, if they were a good friend, I might do it as a joke.  So at my last job, I sometimes felt like an outsider or that I was looked down on if I suggested anything even remotely out of the ordinary.  Since no one ever wanted to try anything new, that was most of the time.  It was very hard to motivate people to do anything extra or remotely group-like.  Regardless, I always kept a stock of birthday and sympathy cards in my desk and never failed to miss a birthday or to provide a way for us to offer condolences for a colleague's loss.  I was the only person who on my team who participated in the office-wide birthday club or who signed up to attend or work at events.



I feel much more at ease in my new environment and like the fact that the group is always open to interacting.  Our daily banana for the dogs time is great.  I give one of the architects two bananas and we all end up saying "That's bananas - that's b-a-n-a-n-a-s!"  Everyone stops what they are doing and enjoys the minute it takes.  Today, we had a banana eating contest between Teddy and Ziggy.  Teddy won.  We dropped two bananas at the same time to see who would finish first.  No one ever saw Teddy's banana after it was dropped.

Another thing I've started, is Souper Tuesday where I bring in soup.  It's a little bit of extra work, but everyone stops in the middle of the day and we eat soup together.  We talk about lots of stuff, some of it work related, some of it industry related, lots of it Western NY related.  I've also got a list of everyone's birthday and we are celebrating them.  And no one thinks this is weird, and no one grumbles about it or refuses to participate.

I think that with work and busy lives, it's a good thing to find small ways and reasons to have fun. It's just unfortunate that this can't happen in so many workplaces due to the culture.  And, I'm not weird!

11 comments:

  1. I think your co-workers are lucky to have you among them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those moments of relaxing and joking around is actually great for everyone. So kudos to you for being such a nice person with extra abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard being new because I have a lot to learn so one thing I can do is try to add to the culture.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a civilised place to work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner sets the tone and she hires people based on their qualities and personalities first. It is a pleasant change.

      Delete
  4. I have one co-worker who is a total downer and she dislikes me so much that I rarely even speak when she's around. She is not there for two half days a week and there's a sub that comes in who is a lady we all love and she makes us laugh. We so look forward to those mornings when we know she's coming in and often wish she could be there all the time to replace the other one. We need more people like that in our lives and I'm sure you're one of them. I'm so happy you are happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked with a guy at my last job who was a real downer and at first I thought it was men, then I learned he was like that with everyone and they felt the same. It creates a lot of tension!

      Delete
  5. Love that your new work environment is a match made in heaven for all of you. Sounds like a fun place! Kudos for doing soup day. It sounds like a great booster for your workweek that everyone enjoys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope this is a good match. I have a lot to learn and am sometimes not sure of myself, but it helps that everyone is nice!

      Delete
  6. Some offices just don't think outside of the box. It is painful to be in that environment. I have felt that way in my church here for 30 years. I am just an odd ball. Oh well God loves me the way I am. I love you the way you are .

    ReplyDelete