Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Eating the Rainbow

I consider myself very fortunate to be able to afford quality, healthy food.  I remember mostly eating canned and frozen veggies as a kid.  We ate fish sometimes -- always frozen, never salmon and rarely shellfish.  It's hard for me to recall if it was an issue that supermarkets didn't carry the same range of products as they do today, or if it was because of our economic situation (we were low income in a single parent household).  Maybe that is why I take food so seriously now -- but I am also undeniably frugal.  It would have been beyond me in my youth to even consider a regular weekday meal would consist of salmon, orange and yellow peppers, broccoli, fresh grated lemon, etc.  There was just no way our family would have managed that.



This was the salmon teriyaki we had for dinner last night.  I have rules for salmon -- it has to be wild caught.  The small packages of farm-raised fish are cheap, and can be found for about a buck a filet.  I splurge on wild-caught Alaskan sock-eye which I can get at Aldi for about eleven bucks.  That's four pieces and we will each have one if I prepare them whole.  In a wok-based meal like this one, we ended up with three portions.

While brown rice is "healthier" we like white jasmine better.  Plain long grain is cheapest, but we are lucky we don't have to base our ingredients on price alone.   Although brown rice is higher in fiber, veggies provide fiber too -- so I don't feel at all guilty about that!  Our favorite Asian restaurant is a quick/fast food sort of ethnic bonanza that we treat ourselves to every couple of months.  They make an awesome salmon teriyaki.  It's certainly better than what I make.  A large portion is about ten bucks -- and based on the quantity and quality, that's a good price.  I still came out ahead at home as my meal cost half as much and served three.

One of the ways we avoid restaurant meals, is by making good meals at home with better ingredients.  We are lucky we can rely on off-price grocery stores such as Aldi, Price Rite or the local markets.  It makes it easier and keeps our costs down.  Even though I don't splurge, I always feel like I have it really good because what we do have is far above what either of us experience as kids.  We certainly weren't able to eat this colorfully.

8 comments:

  1. In the UK food costs are lower than our cousins over the English Channel but eating out - decent eating out - is a lot more expensive that the equivalent at home. I don't eat out much; I'm afraid I resent the additional cost plus the fact that I always think I'd rather be making it myself. I do like cooking! Expensive, fancy and posh doesn't mean better.
    Many of the 'big' eating places are having financial issues right now so I don't think I am the only one who thinks like that.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky that eating out is not as expensive here as in other parts of the country. I also think about the added sugar, fat and salt that restaurants add to make the food taste better. I think it is healthier to eat in!

      Delete
  2. It look delicious! We rarely eat out anymore either. I think it's because we can cook pretty much anything they server for less money and it's homemade. Plus, we know exactly what is in there. Go you! (P.S. I was never exposed to seafood until I left home either)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how there was a stigma that it could make you sick too -- that you would want to be careful how you cooked it or where you ordered it from. I try to eat two to three fish meals per week.

      Delete
  3. In the UK we only eat out as a social thing, curries don't compare to the ones we eat in India and anything else we can cook more cheaply and better at home. My background in corporate hospitality makes me hypercritical if we go anywhere fancy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine you are a very knowledgeable critic! Having had salmon and haddock fresh in Seattle, I know that what we get here isn't nearly as good. But a salmon meal dining out that is of a decent quality is at least $20 a meal. I envy your travels for yet another reason!

      Delete
  4. We had salmon last night too, marinated in soy sauce (try it,it's delicious), sprinkled with lemon pepper, and cooked in a grill pan. We also had long-grain rice and frozen petite peas, the only frozen vegetable I like. I guess I was lucky growing up. We always had quality food and a lot of it, and my mother was a great cook as were my grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was just a lousy cook but she could bake! She taught me the basics, but she never had a passion or taste for anything. I do love salmon with soy sauce -- and a little with it honey too!

      Delete