Thursday, March 29, 2018

Super Market Wars

Tops Markets, a local grocery chain has filed for bankruptcy.  That is no surprise to me or anyone who lives in Western NY.  The service is horrible, the prices are high, the produce spoils too quickly and they don't take good care of their stores.  Competition is stiff here -- they have to compete with Wegmans, where I would prefer to shop --  but it's just not convenient.  The nearest Wegmans is three miles away, while there are two Tops under a mile.  That might not seem like much, but when you make small shopping trips, close wins out. In our old house, I shopped at Weggie's a lot!


I went to Tops on Wednesday because I needed to pick up a few things for dinner.  The plan was to make frozen ravioli.  We use canned San Marzano tomatoes for our marinara.  This week, Price Rite didn't have any.  They are $2.49 a can there, but we can get them at Wegmans for $2.69.  I've seen them for less than three bucks at Tops, so I figured I'd go there.  Turns out, they did have them, but they were $4.99 a can.  No way.  I ended up looking in their clearance aisle and found a number of cans marked down half price to $2.25.  I picked up four.  This is why they are in trouble.  They are over-priced, then when they have get rid of stuff because of store shelving changes or expiration dates, they then mark the merchandise down.  They'll have strawberries on sale -- buy four pints and get five pints free.  Like who needs to buy that many strawberries? Especially when  they will go bad in a couple of days.

Chains like Tops can't compete with well-run and nicely kept stores like Wegmans, or discounted outlets like Shop Rite or Aldi (places where I do 80% of my shopping).  On-line grocers or Walmart don't figure into the equation for me.  I like to peruse and plan meals based on deals and what is fresh, that looks good.  I also like stores that have enough registers opens, which never happens at Tops.

We enjoyed the ravioli.  They did have Celentano on a BOGO sale.  Their regular price is too high but I would spend it for the BOGO -- having ravioli on hand in the freezer is never a bad thing so the extra bag isn't ridiculous.  The marinara made use of some sauce we'd had a couple of nights before.  If I am going to the trouble to be frugal in my cooking, there is no way I'm going to be stupid about the prices and merchandise where I shop.  I don't feel sorry for chains like Tops.  Consumers are getting smarter and more focused on value and quality.  We buy based on our own values and what is important to us.  Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Amazon, Walmart and the like might be contributing to Tops' woes -- but they aren't even on my radar. I just want fresh food at a good price.

6 comments:

  1. Not to laugh but I have to drive over ten miles to get to any grocery store. I would be in heaven with only 3 miles away. They opened a Shoppers discount store near me and were selling those large size canned tomatoes for 99¢ each. My dh has a food allergy so I couldn't buy any but my daughter said they were very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was complaining about the three miles, I knew that I had it easy compared to many! I wouldn't mind the three miles so much if not for traffic. However, I am very much a mapper/route compelled girl and there has to be other errands on the way if I venture out very much at all. But I know, we have it easy!

      Delete
  2. I'm just laughing because I moved rural when I got married years ago and life is so different then when I lived closer to a city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how your proximity to conveniences skews your actual sense of convenience!

      Delete
  3. I live in a small town near Rochester, NY and I kinda disagree with you about Tops Market. Our store is clean, the service is excellent, the prices are great and as far as produce, I buy mine at Aldis. I find Wegmans to be more expensive than Tops, I do not like the way Wegmans shrink wraps their meat, the overall size of the store(s) and unless you are very disciplined, you will spend a lot more there than you would at Tops. Maybe the area of Buffalo that you live in doesn't take care of their stores, but here in the Canandaigua, Farmington, Perinton, Henrietta area, they are excellent. Most weeks, between sales and couponing, I save over 50% on my bill. I am not down on Wegmans in the least, both my mom and brothers worked their for years..I am just being realistic. I am one Western New Yorker who likes Tops Market. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the location/region aspect. The new store in Lyons is smaller and much nicer -- we actually enjoy it. I don't know if the issue is the quality of staffing in the Buffalo/Metrol area. I used to work for Tops. I did the computer installations at new construction sites and remember opening the International store in Greece. There was nothing like it back then and it was quite a treat. I also shop at the Tops in Williamson and don't have the same gripes. Regardless, I am not fond of their sale/multiple quantities especially the buy 4 get 5 free.

      Delete