Saturday, March 31, 2018

I Still Thrift!

Criticism of Tops aside, one reason I shop there is because you can get a $4 off coupon for the Amvets thrift store.  One reason I went to Tops last week is because I wanted to thrift.  My goal was to find a bathrobe. I've been sporting a tatty terry number with sheep on the back.  I suspect my husband has a vehement dislike for it and I was interested in a nice and lightweight alternative.  The thrifting Gods were smiling upon me as there was an Orvis robe for $6.98.  A little pricey for second hand, but I had a coupon and Orvis is a really good brand.


This is a weighty cotton number and it has a nice pattern. It's not a voluminous robe and should suit me well for spring and summer.  On the weekends, I spend quite a lot of time in my jammies, so having a nicer looking robe will serve as a more pleasing cover-up.  Our kitchen window has a direct view into the neighbor's kitchen too.  We can see what they are wearing and doing and they can see us.  We don't have curtains up because we want light and to be able to see what is going on outside.  I may put in a frosted glass when we renovate the kitchen next year -- for now, I'll try not to look too ratty!  I do also like to eat breakfast in the backyard.

Another goal was to find a few dresses.  This denim jumper will be good for the summer -- I can see myself wearing it at camp.  I could probably wear it to work since the office is uber casual.  There are a few rips near the hem, but that doesn't matter since rips seem to be in fashion these days.  It is not very figure flattering but is very comfortable.  The store had a special that all dresses were half off, so this one was just $3.50.

I spied the Stone Mountain canvas purse and thought it went well with the dress.  It would be a good purse to bring to camp and it was only three bucks.  Right now, it is sealed in a bag with baking soda.  I will be able to wash it to get rid of any lingering thrift odor.  This is a good brand and will hold up well.

I really liked this little black dress.  Surprisingly enough, I don't own many LBDs these days -- mostly because I'm not very little.  This dress has a lot of gathers under the bust and should be able to accommodate my "big boys."  The vintage black clutch was just three bucks and I thought it went well.  When I go places in a dress, I don't like to lug a big purse.  I do already have a cloth/beaded clutch, but wanted something leather.  It was a nice find!

This loot added up to $16 once I had the coupon applied. I donated the change to the vets. I actually dislike that they ask, since everything they sell is for that anyway.  However, I am willing to donate to a good cause and fifty three cents isn't going to be missed.  I am very happy with my haul.  It was a fun way to do something I like on my birthday and a little treat for myself.

14 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had great fun.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Alex! When I could actually walk and stand to shop, I liked to take my birthday as a day away from work and school and just wander through antique shops. I usually bought some little something that struck my fancy or that I needed. Vintage cookware that is still usable is one of the things I found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably qualify to have a free day off on my birthday, but I didn't ask because I have lots of stuff I am still trying to accomplish. I specifically saved the trip for my B-Day rather than just a weekend treat. I wanted to have a purpose!

      Delete
  3. You did very well! Check on line at Home Depot/Lowes if not your local hardware store. There is a vinyl window cling on a roll for lack of a better description, it comes in a variety of prints, and could easily turn your kitchen window "frosted" for far less than replacing a window unit. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to do a full kitchen reno next year so the window will have to be replaced. Part of the charm of seeing the neighbors is we can tell when we are all drinking, and often then decide to then drink together. But I have seen those clinging sheets.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! Thrifting is a good way to celebrate a birthday! I volunteer at a thrift/consignment store on Saturday mornings...made a good "haul" today...a nice, dressy shirt from Christopher Banks for $1, a new summer tee for $1 and a new Cabela's men's shirt for a friend for $1.50.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be cool to have the inside track on what comes in. I envy you!

      Delete
  5. What great finds! Sounds like you enjoyed your day - Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I was surprised and thrilled by my finds!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the perfect way to spend a birthday.
    Your dressing gown is really pretty and both the dresses look very useful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have pennies anymore in Canada - they did away with them a few years ago (they round up or down to nearest 5 cents when you pay cash, cc they still charge cents though). Great finds! Even if you buy a combo of thrift/new your wardrobe budget goes so much further. I admit to finding a fabulous pair of jeans the other day in a thrift for $1.50 - I loved them so much as they are comfy that I saw the same ones in Costco yesterday and bought another pair at full price for $26 lol. In the end they ended up bing $14 a piece if you put the two together, not bad for two awesome pairs of pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been able to find brands I like by thrifting. I've bought cheapies at the thrift, liked the brand so much, I started looking for retail sales too. It is a good way to learn without spending a lot.

      Delete