Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Baking Soda Obsession

I use baking soda multiple times per day.  It is probably my most used household item.  The best thing about this product, is that it is cheap.  It is also gentle and an effective cleaner.


Each morning after I wipe down the shower and sink in the bathroom, I pour some baking soda into the toilet.  I give it a quick scrub with a toilet brush and just let it sit that way until the next flush.  This is a great way to keep your bowl clean and deodorized.

Every night before bed, I brush and floss my teeth. I use my Cybersonic powered brush for cleaning, then one of those small flossing tools with the handle and pointy end.  I am a bit obsessive about dental health -- especially since we dropped our dental insurance.  We are only visiting the dentist once per year (which is the way it was when we were growing up -- I don't know who came up with the 6 month thing), so I want to keep my teeth and gums healthy.  That is why I not only floss, but I run the pointy end of the flossing tool along the base of my teeth at the gum line.  I then try to scrape off any accumulations.  I finish off by scraping my tongue and then giving another quick brushing with a manual toothbrush dipped in baking soda.  After rinsing with mouthwash, my mouth feels as if I just got back from the dentist from a professional cleaning.

I also wash my face with it.  Really! After wetting my skin, I pump some soap into my hand and mix in some baking soda.  This is a gentle scrub that does a great job of cleaning/exfoliating -- but is not at all irritating.  It's easy to wash off.  Spend money on one of those expensive ultra-sonic complexion brushes -- no way!  The baking soda does a great job of getting my skin super clean.

If I have a little bit of indigestion, I'll mix some baking soda with water and drink it.  It works!  If it's a serious case, I'll take Tums.

In the kitchen I use it with lemon.  After I squeeze a lemon and have the skin left, I rub it on my hands and arms.  Then I rub in some baking soda to exfoliate.  A nice rinse followed by a bit of fresh aloe-vera is a nice way to get smooth and soft skin.

Of course, I bake and use it as intended. I don't pour a whole lot down the drain -- but I do regularly take apart the garbage disposer and scrub the rubber rings with it.  And of course we keep a box in the fridge.

Did you know you can re-use the stuff in the fridge?  Just pour it on a baking sheet and bake it a little just to dry it out again.  Pour it back into a container and put it back in the fridge!

So, are you a big fan of baking soda?  How do you use it?

6 comments:

  1. I use it to clean the interior of my microwave. One of my favorite uses is to put it in the inside of my sneakers, let it sit a day or two, then shake or vacuum the powder out and put in a wastebasket. Seems to help them smell better and last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made a scrub today of baking soda, borax and dried lemon rinds and used it on the sink. I may take your suggestion and modify that to have just the baking soda and ground up lemon rind -- thank you for mentioning it for the microwave!

      Delete
  2. Wow. I only use it for cooking and general cleaning.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try the other stuff -- especially washing your face. You will be amazed!

      Delete
  3. I have a six pound bag. I use so much that I need the large bag. If I have a greasy cookie pan that I have used for meat and gotten it nasty and caked, I used baking soda and Dawn on the pan, letting it sit with a bit of water. Then, I use a dish cloth and the grease comes right off. I use Baking Soda to clean the sink, stove, bathroom sink, tub and commode. If the counter is stained, I use baking soda. It cleans the microwave and inside of the refrigerator.

    For a clogged drain, it works wonders. I put a cup down the drain and follow that with a cup of vinegar and let it sit for about 30 minutes. You have to boil water on the stove in order for it to be hot going down the drain with the vinegar and baking soda. Don't try to heat water from the faucet. You can use a plunger on the clog if there is any left. This has saved me a plumber cost many a time.

    When I brushed my teeth with it, the dentist told me to stop because it was harsh enough to remove the enamel. I have never used it to wash my body, but I have put it in bath water.

    Of course, I do bake with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the dental warning! I will use it less frequently as a result. I had tried it in the drain but not with boiling water, now I see why that didn't work so well.

      Delete