Tuesday, May 1, 2018

More Light!

A third lamp has been eliminated in the master bedroom.  I decided not to be matchy-matchy and purchased a different style.  This was very economical.  The mason jar shade and black corded light set me back about 13 bucks since they were on a 40% off sale at Michael's like the other lamps.  We don't have any "traditional" bulbs in the house so a modern "pig tail" style will have to do for now.  I am thinking I may now use a few mason jars on the vanity to store make-up tools and other things like barretts, scrunchies, etc.


This vanity is part of the bedroom set, which is from the 40's.  It is in pretty rough shape but I have not had the time or energy to spruce it up.  There isn't a whole lot of surface space so getting rid of the lamp that was there is a big help.  Whenever I needed illumination to put on make-up, I had to take the shade off of the lamp.  It was a real pain!  I chose the clear glass shade so that there would be more light.  It's not a perfect solution  but it will work for the next few years until we re-design the room.  TBG is very happy that the new lights give him more room on the nightstand and eliminate the two lamps which he had come not to like very much.


The old lamp in this area made it hard to dust so the vanity and mirror always had a good coating of schmutz.  You can guess how much dust was on the mirror by the streaks picked up in the picture.  Really!  If I were a quality blogger, I would have to go back and clean and then re-take the picture.  The mirror is propped on the vanity because it is hard to put any sort of hanging hardware in the walls.  It is very heavy and chances are that it would come crashing down if I tried to hang it up.

The sale on these fixtures was a big help.  It made this small change affordable and the new lighting solution solves a functional problem.  The three lamps will have a second life after they are donated.  I am making good progress scaling back clunky things and finding ways to keep the house cleaner.  I'm turning from a clutter-bug to a light-bug!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! They don't make furniture like they used too. The back side of it is fully finished too.

      Delete
  2. Use LED lamps/bulbs. The fluorescent bulb is bad for skin and eyes. I am a fan of mismatch.

    I love the dresser! That is beautiful. I would never have noticed the streaks if you had not pointed to them.

    If you use LED bulbs outdoors, like around your doors, bugs do not come to the light. Well, I have only three bugs flying around my door as I come and go instead of hundreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that bug avoidance tip! I love that dresser because it reminds me of my grandmother.

      Delete
  3. I bought a bunch of these when Michaels had the 40% Off Sale too, bought Edison Bulbs on Sale as well and will eventually hang them everywhere that needs more ambient lighting. This is a large Home so during the day it it bright but at Night it can be difficult to illuminate larger spaces adequately and I don't like it feeling Cave Like. Thanks for stopping by for a Blog Visit Today.

    ReplyDelete