Wednesday, May 23, 2018

The Back Side

I had to take pictures of all four sides of the house in order for the architects/designers at work to help with our face-lift project.  Most of our effort is taking place in the front, but it's the back and the West side that look the worst.  These are the sides that get the most abuse from the weather.  The shingles won't hold any more paint, so all of it will need to be stripped and the entire exterior re-sided.

The backyard needs some remedial work.  A lot of grass and weeds have sprouted between the slate, which shouldn't happen with all the landscaping material under it, but nature is persistent.  TBG is just going to have to get out with the weed-whacker every week.  The fence needs a little attention too -- another coat of stain, a few boards might also need to be replaced.  If there is money in the budget, the garage will get re-sided too.  That is a big "if!"

While I am looking forward to the update, I dread the work.  There will be two or three layers of siding to come off.  Our hope is to use pre-finished cedar clapboard.  We love the blue and plan to stick with that.  I have a few ideas/inspiration but am dying to see what can actually be done.  I can't wait to see what my talented colleagues come up with for the front.

We budget for one big project per year and this is it for 2018.  I am hoping the home renovation planets align and it can all be started soon.  It is obviously badly needed!

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like work with a capital W but should be lovely once it's completed. Fingers crossed everything falls into place for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be a lot of work and I am glad we can hire someone to do it!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I remember when you built the fence. Can't believe some boards need to be replaced already. And two or three layers of siding? Sounds like you'll be having a big roll-off box delivered for that project. Looking forward to the updates on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We plan to take full advantage of having a dumpster. It's just the motivation we need to clear out stuff we don't need or use anymore! I am disappointed in the state of the fence, but that is another story. It does still look good and it's over-all in good shape.

      Delete
  3. We bit the bullet and had the house repainted last year - painful but it looks so much smarter now.
    Have you tried treating your weeds with industrial strength vinegar? It's eco friendly and works a treat. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vinegar tip, I will see if we can find some! I really loved the first paint job we did on the house, so I am actually looking forward to a fresh exterior again.

      Delete
  4. Layers of siding? Oh my! Regular vinegar from the grocery store works, too. Don't dilute it. Just don't use salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have additional tricks to try. Thank you! I believe there are three layers of siding. Ugh!

      Delete