Monday, August 27, 2018

Switching ISP/Cable Providers Sucks!

So we have broken away from Time Warner/Spectrum -- and am glad we did.  However, transitioning over has been a real nightmare.  The biggest hassle was changing email.  We've wanted to ditch TWC for quite some time but because I had been looking for work at various times, we didn't want to change our email address.  Now that I am done working, I don't really care.

Nothing we could say or do would get TWC to lower our bill.  Once I went to turn in the equipment, they told me we could switch back and they'd treat us like we were new customers and give us a better deal.  Like, really?  Well we do know that Verizon will jack their prices up in a couple of years so we might just switch back then.  The thing is, Verizon internet is a lot faster (and I was paying extra for "turbo" on TWC), and that is a big thing to me.

One problem we had, is that Verizon does not offer email and hasn't for years. I didn't think to ask about that.  That meant I had to set up a gmail account for us.  This has messed with signing in to this blog -- lots of my replies and comments to other blogs don't show "Alex M" anymore.  They show the joint email I set up for me and TBG.

The worst part of it, was the time and effort it took me to get the new account set up in Microsoft Outlook on my desktop.  This is something I want to have and it means messing with options and required me looking up directions on-line.  TBG would never have been able to do that.  I also had to copy over the emails I wanted to save from the old accounts to new folders under the new account.  Once that was done, I had to remove the accounts so that I wouldn't get continual messages that Outlook could not connect to the TWC email server.  Ugh.  It took me about two days and lots of cursing to get it done.

It would have been way easier to stay with TWC, but I was not going to shell out over $200 bucks per month.  Further, we live in NY state, which is litigating them now.  There is a good chance they will be forced out -- so we would probably have to switch anyway.

In any event, this is done.  At some point, I may need to ditch this blog and start a new one just so I can get my profile and email addressed linked correctly.  Blogger does not let you delete the primary email address so it's been a pain.  Well, at least I am saving money so I'll stop complaining!

3 comments:

  1. That's one bill lowered! Even though we use Windows for all our business stuff we abandoned outlook long ago and just connect directly to our email accounts by our phones and via webmail - so much easier. Viruses tend to go after outlook. We have our email with go daddy except a paid version so we can have unlimited memory there, very few issues. A consideration down the road perhaps if you give up on outlook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can also read email on my phone but do a lot of stuff through the desktop and we "share" it so it's a way for us to both make sure nothing gets missed. I have had so-so luck with GoDaddy at work and don't want to spend on a domain, but I had thought about that and might still consider it. So far, I've had good luck with Norton as my anti-virus and haven't gotten hit (knock on wood!). Just lowering the one bill makes me feel better!

      Delete
  2. Thank you blog admin for this wonderful post,As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS & Gastro Disorder and herpes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my everything and the symptoms were terrible, she always complained of heavy menstruation, and she always had difficulty falling asleep . We tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and I saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who has the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and he has herbal cure for Herpes,HIV/Aids,Diabetes,Neuro Disease,Cancer,Back Pain,COPD,Parkinson, and other disease you can visit Dr Itua herbal center website to read more www.drituaherbalcenter.com or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete