Sunday, November 26, 2017

It Starts with The Tree

 
We did not decorate the house last year. This year, I put up the tree right after Thanksgiving.  I had wanted a "pencil" tree and scoped one out at Big Lots.  It was $75 and that was the price I was looking to beat anywhere else. I went back to the store on Black Friday and it was on sale for $50 -- so it came home with me.  There was no need to buy any new decorations as I like what we have just fine.  Many of the ornaments were too big for the "white princess" tree I had been decorating in the past -- so I'd hang one in each window.  This year, they are all on the tree, which will make putting it all away that much easier.



I really like the scale of a tall, thin tree for our small house.  It fits perfectly in the corner with the "scotch chair" and TBG enjoyed sitting back with a glass of single malt the night we put it up.  He was out in the yard putting up a projector that has a snow-flake pattern in it.  I bought it at 50% off from QVC over the summer.  It will be our understated way to have a light display.  We have a run of houses a block away that put out tons of lights.  When I think of how many Americans struggle to pay their electric bill, it makes me sick to see such a gratuitous over-use.

I did accomplish most of our holiday shopping.  A lot of it was done on-line.  The rest will be obtained from local small businesses.  Next week I am volunteering to wrap gifts at a holiday shopping night at work.  Small local vendors will have their products for sale and we will charge to wrap. The proceeds will go to a charity.  There is also a work party at a local banquet facility that I plan to attend.

I am looking forward to this holiday season.  Last year was one of the worst seasons of my adult life because my job sucked.  Now that I am in a new (and my permanent) position, life is much better. Another co-worker has the same type of job that I do and also started out where I was.  He told me that last fall/winter was the worst time of his professional life too.  My season culminated with a repetitive stress injury from being at my desk 13 hours per day, then being out on disability.  Believe it or not, even though I won my case, the worker comp carrier is still fighting one bill.

This season, I will really relish things because it is such a stark contrast to last year.  Having the tree up restores a bit of normalcy.  Even though we don't go over-board, and we are not even religious, it seems that participating in the season helps make life a bit jollier.  So Ho! Ho! Ho! Let the holidays begin!










14 comments:

  1. Very nice tree! I think I need one just like that but I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The first one I ever saw was a very expensive "Adirondack" style tree. This is much more pedestrian. If you Google "Pencil Tree" you will see a lot of difference price ranges. I was glad to find one that wasn't too expensive!

      Delete
  2. I love the tree and it looks wonderful where you put it. I bought something similar a couple of years ago. It's a smaller, narrower tree and it comes in a pot. It goes together in three pieces and is pre-lit, but I add extra lights. We're not religious either, but we have always put up a tree. Yesterday, after hauling down all the other holiday decorations from the attic, I made some tough decisions and filled two containers of decorations that I plan to donate. We just don't do big, whole house decorating anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have the time, energy or the desire to spend to do the whole house. If I couldn't find a pencil tree, I was going to get one in an urn like you probably have. I like the one I found because it is tall, but I would have just set a smaller one on a base. Like you, we're all about small these days!

      Delete
  3. I love Christmas, decorations, and lights, and it has nothing to do with religion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the meaning behind the season too. Even if I don't practice the religious part of it I totally want to celebrate peace on earth and good will to men. And the cookies don't hurt either!

      Delete
  4. Hubby wants one of those pencil trees but as I collect Vintage Christmas ornaments I just want a slightly larger tree (ours is 6 ft), will have to look for a bargain as I put ours up for this year, maybe after Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to get it at 25% off. I wished I had thought of it after Christmas last year too. I will probably look a outdoor decorations during the clearances after the holiday.

      Delete
  5. Awwww... it looks so purdy! I confess I've never decorated for the holidays - partly because I'm lazy and partly because the cats would just destroy it all. I did buy some led candles and set them up yesterday... true to form, Smoky has already found them and was batting one around the floor this morning. Sigh. Guess I need to find a more cat-proof location (she says with full knowledge that this is a hopeless endeavor.) Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry the cat would topple our tree at least once every season, so I can relate to your struggles. We would put them back up and they never looked the same. We'd call them "The Drunken Girl in a Cheap Party Dress" once they were back up....

      Delete
  6. I really like that tree. It is so different. It fits perfectly in your space. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I had thought of it sooner!

      Delete
  7. Alex, I love the way your new tree looks in your space. So perfect and cozy! Enjoy those cookies that come with the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! I am certainly looking forward to Christmas cookies too!!!

      Delete