Sunday, November 19, 2017

My Bargain-Based Life

 
Of course my fabulous life is really bargain basement.  I would love to be able to truly afford the best and be one of those sophisticated people who don't buy much, but when they do, they only buy the best.  On the other hand, I hate cheap and shoddy stuff.  My consumerism is based on price, quality and convenience.  There is nothing sophisticated about that.  I love my new faux-leopard coat, but I wear it to a desk job because the reality is that I need to earn money.  Boy would I rather be wearing it out to lunch or drinks with my girlfriends at some sort of chi-chi martini bar.  Yes, I'd drive there in my Mercedes Benz, but the reality is that my 33 year old used car isn't that luxe.  Right now, the heater isn't working.


 
We are hosting over-night guests before Thanksgiving and all of our blankets are pathetic.  I shopped around and ended up at Tuesday Morning.  Home Goods had a line at their register that looked to be a mile long, so I didn't even try there.  Lucky for me, Tuesday morning had a great deal and I picked up two Egyptian cotton blankets for $12.99 a piece.  On my way up to the register, I spotted velvet throws -- for $4.99.  No, I wasn't in the market for  them,  but at that price I had to splurge.  There is just no way that I would have spent $25 on them.  The reality is that they are going to be used roughly by us and the dog.  That is the bottom line as to why I love luxury but don't want to spend a lot of money.   

I really wish I had a comfortable and luxurious lifestyle.  But the truth is my world is messy, I'm often careless, and I don't have time to keep up with things.  The places I go are very pedestrian -- the supermarket, the park, the Dollar Store.  While I do like nice stuff, in my world, there really is no need for "the best."  So, a bargain will do!


2 comments:

  1. Still, getting a $25 throw for $5 is a little bit of luxury for less. Who actually buys those $300 throws I see in catalogs??? I could not wrap up in it and drink hot chocolate because you know I would spill something on it. And, it probably needs to be dry cleaned.

    Go and have martinis at lunch? And end up being an alcoholic? Only the vapid do things like that...lol.

    Now, I would love those $400 wool blankets! Right!!! At this point, my only pair of shoes has holes in the soles, so I would not invest in pricey blankets.

    Do the ladies who lunch really have that much money? I doubt it.

    However, I do share your desire to have a nice pleasant surrounding. And, I have no heat in the house and it is below freezing right now in the middle of the might. Hopefully, we can both remedy these conditions.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you! I do live a relatively comfortable life, so regardless of my lack of luxury, I feel very fortunate. I would so totally ruin a $400 blanket!

      Delete