Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Using it All - The Cauliflower Edition

 Anyone who reads my blog knows I hate to waste food!  I used every last scrap on Thanksgiving and created a cauliflower recipe while I was at it.  I love to broil this white cruciferous veggie.  This year, I cut the florets off the stems, threw them in a baking dish, then added EVOO, ranch dressing, peppercorns, a little honey, lemon zest and freshly grated parm.  I let that soak for the day and then baked it covered in foil.  Once it was almost done, I put it under the broiler to crisp up.  Yum!



Teddy has plenty of veggie slop so I decided to use "clippings," for a base.  I chopped the stem, leaves from celery used in dressing, onion and mushrooms.  I sauteed it all then poured in stock for a slow simmer all day.  Later in the day, I added left-over baked potato.  Once we were ready to eat, I pureed the stock and set the broiled cauliflower over it.  It was so yummy!  The potato thickens up the puree and I add a little bit of gravy master for good measure.  It was thick and tasty.
 

I had leftover topping from my yam balls (sugar, pecans, mini marshmallows).  I decided to make brownies using a mix and left-over coffee.  I topped the dessert with the yam ball stuff and added party mix to that for a sweet/salty topping. Yum again!  

In this picture, the cauliflower and puree sit at 10 - 11 o'clock on the plate.  The puree base makes it a little more fancy.   But who cares how it looks if it tastes good?  And it was frugal too.  Triple Yum!!!

5 comments:

  1. I love reading US recipes, it's like a completely different language...broiler, ranch dressing, Evoo.....! Parm - Parmesan, yes?
    I love cauliflower. It's 3 for £1 at the moment. Ours usually gets made in aloo gobi although it's lovely roasted with wine, whole cloves are garlic, fresh tomatoes, capsicums, white wine and Mozzarella cheese! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound yummy! Over here, we like acronyms and also assume everyone gets our terminology! Parmesan has to be a universal/unifying force in the world because it is wonderful regardless of where you are or what you believe in!

      Delete
    2. Sadly Parmesan isn't vegetarian.
      us Brits are just as bad with our slang!

      Delete
  2. Our cauliflower has been very expensive $4-7 range in winters past but this year the price is lower, got one for $2 this week. Your recipe sounds like a fabulous vegetarian type dish. Vix's suggestion looks good too. I usually eat it raw though, I like cooked veggies less than raw ones. It's so spicy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is cheaper this year. I only buy it when it's $2.50 a head or less. It's not something I've even purchased much in the past, but lately I've been happy to buy it because it's been so reasonable.

      Delete