Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Shredded

We have been in our "Small Life" house for just about five years now.  There are still boxes in our garage that have not been moved inside.  I am trying to get stuff cleared out before I attack what's left in boxes and one thing I needed to do, was shred old documents.  There were multiple tax returns well over ten years old, and all of the pay stubs and financial material that went with them.  We also had paperwork from two old mortgages and a number of loans.  None of this stuff could go out in our recycling bin.


Shredding is a pain, but at least most of the old stuff was able to go out in the municipal recycling bin.  This box is stuffed full of paper that had social security numbers and other sensitive data printed on it.  It was interesting to see past stock and social security statements.  Because we've always invested and because our salaries have continued to rise, our financial future looks a lot better than it did fifteen years ago -- and I felt we were on a pretty good track then.

There were interesting things -- like the appraisal for our first house which I will probably see if I can give to the current owner.  It has a lot of good historic detail from 1998.  I also found Teddy's puppy papers -- including her pedigree.  Her breeder named her dogs after songs and had forgotten her grandpa was "That's the Way it Is," an excellent Bruce Hornsby song.

The big box of scraps will serve as kindling in our fire pit.  I feel safer burning it after shredding it.  Plus, our fires always need a little help to get started.  I know there are lots more documents in the house that need to be shredded, and I hope to do a little bit each week.  I'm sure I will be at it for a while!

6 comments:

  1. I think burning after shredding is a very good idea. My friend had phone bills from ten years back when he got his divorce. Those telephone numbers helped him prove things about his wife as he talked to the people she called. He said it saved him a million dollars as she was married when she married him. He never knew that until he was divorcing her and calling all the numbers he had on his phone bill. He also found out she was not an American citizen as she claimed. That was one good outcome of being a hoarder. However, hoarding killed him. Go to my blog and search for hoarding. It will cause anyone to declutter. Good luck on your decluttering. Have you ever thought about scanning and saving some of the more interesting things you find like the dog pedigree, historical facts about the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a tale. Yes, I do try to scan things. I had an old resume which I scanned. It's hard to go back and accurately remember the years you worked at each job. Now I have a better reference!

      Delete
  2. I have a pile of papers sitting on the floor by my feet that need shredding, but I don't have a shredder. I keep thinking of buying one though. I used to have one, but I killed it somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I skipped the shredder and bought a firepit, on sale for $29. Then, if found out that someone sponsors a shred a thon. They allow each person one paper bag. I missed it but I put the things to shred in a bag, just waiting for the next chance the first of the year. I only rip off address and pertinent information for shredding. The senior center has a shredder for seniors to use. Plus, I take in a small bundle of envelopes, mostly their statements to me for shredding. You don't have to own your own shredder because they are delicate and die easily. I can get a shredded smoking when I put things in for so long. I worked at a place that had a shredder about the size of two chest freezers. It seemed it would just run away and leave the building. You could throw a two inch book into that thing, and it just growled a bit.

      Delete
    2. I take the bundle of bank envelopes to the bank. My friend who runs a million or more ??? through his bank, takes in shopping bags to his bank to shred and they never blink an eye.

      Delete
  3. I love my shredder. And Margaux likes to shred. I use some of the shredded paper in my compost bin.

    ReplyDelete