Thursday, November 23, 2017

We are Non-Traditional

I like any holiday associated with food.  Having been married 29 years, I've hosted 25 Turkey Day Dinners.  Some were big, some were small, mostly sticking to the tried and true turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, cranberries, biscuits, and pie fare.  Regardless of the size of the gathering, I generally made it all myself -- starting at the crack of dawn and working in my jammies.   This year, we went intentionally small -- just the two of us.  Rather than a whole bird, The Big Guy insisted on making a turkey roulade.  I took responsibility for everything else.  We had an awesome meal and a nice day to boot.



Our sides were few -- cauliflower (over a puree), yams, and dressing.  Nothing was traditional.  A friend from work mentioned yam balls that she likes to make -- recipe courtesy of "The Chew." They sounded so good -- mashed yams formed into a ball, with mini-marshmallows in the center, rolled in a mixture of shredded sweet coconut, pecans and sugar.  The kicker is freshly ground ginger.  Fabulous!

I created my own cauliflower side, which I'll have to post about separately this week because it was one of my best "use it all" dishes in the history of my culinary life.  The roulade was made using a large turkey breast and Ina Garten's recipe.  TBG loves making it so I could not say no.


What was really nice about the meal, was that this is all that was left to go back into the refrigerator.  I did not have to cut up the rest of a big bird and get stock going from the carcass.  We didn't eat so much that we couldn't move.  We'll have a couple of good meals but nothing will be kicking around two or three weeks from now.  Nothing is going to get thrown out.


We set a humble table.  I used our good flutes and sterling silver flat-ware, but our "every day" white china.  Dinner was at 6PM, followed by a yummy brownie dessert.  Not being total lushes, we still enjoyed a bottle of champers.  I did some on-line shopping and he watched football.  Teddy got lots of scraps and is pretty much zonked out from it all.

It was a small affair but definitely a good holiday.  I hope everyone else who celebrated it had a good time too!

8 comments:

  1. It was 72 degrees in Denver today, so CatMan and I celebrated the holiday with a long bike ride. I guess technically I had a banana and a granola bar for Thanksgiving dinner, though we did have pumpkin pie last night. Your low key holiday sounds wonderful to me. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Thanksgiving to you too! It was a bit colder here!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely, delicious dinner and peaceful day. Ours was also un-traditional. My little family wanted lasagna. I used ground turkey and turkey sausage, so the bird was in there. lol I gave a couple of slices to two of our single neighbors that had worked all day and were too tired to cook anything. We still have a lot left over but it always tastes better the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does count as a turkey dinner in my book! My BFF always makes her lasagna a day ahead on purpose. It does taste better!

      Delete
  3. My sister always cooks the huge, traditional Thanksgiving for our family. I've got to have turkey soup with the carcass, though (and turkey sandwiches) so I make my own little turkey It's in the oven now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year, it makes sense to buy a bird, even if the holiday has passed. Per pound, it's a great value! I will probably cook a smaller bird at least once before Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Even though exbf and I ate at a church dinner, I did cook something so he would have leftovers for home--hen, cranberries, sweet potato, potatoes, and a dish (Stove Top Stuffing, cream of chicken soup, and hen meat), baked in the oven. He hates gravy, so none for him.

    I have a terribly infected finger that doctor order me to protect, so I only baked enough sweet potatoes for him and baked two potatoes. Plus, cooking with a finger full of pus is not appetizing to me even if it is my own finger.

    Your turkey sounds delicious. I love The Chew. Surprisingly, so does exbf and he does not cook at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was out of work, that was one of the day-time "chat" shows that I did watch. I always enjoyed their take on meals and also what their guests cooked. Very approachable.

      I do hope your finger heals quickly! It must be extra painful when you are out in the cold.

      Delete