Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Chicken, Day Two

It was the second day with the chicken I cooked up yesterday.  We both had a wrap for lunch and then once that was done, I set about to start prep for dinner.  It was Taco Tuesday at Chez Petite.  The Ortega shells came from Dollar Tree, so they were cheap.  They are a slightly higher fiber/grain version.  Although by higher, it's 2g rather than <1g of fiber.  We had the shredded cabbage/carrot mix from pierogi night and I had purchased three red peppers.  These are the misfits that Price Rite sells for cheap ($1.49 per pound).  We were out of cheddar so for cheese, it was Swiss and Assiago.  Someone actually forgot to pack the package of Swiss and I found it in a cart I picked up at Aldi.  So I just dropped it in my car.  That wasn't stealing as someone paid for it but just forgot it.  The sour cream is actually cut 50% with plain Greek yogurt.

While I'll eat a taco any day, I love them in the summer.  We ate them out on the patio.  It was a healthy meal -- and especially so because I added black beans into the chicken mixture.  We had black beans last night in our chicken chili and we still have some left that I will use up tomorrow or the day after.

As for tomorrow, I started dough tonight. I actually ended up with three batches.  Tomorrow and Thursday will be pizza nights.  I'll make a loaf on Friday for the weekend.

The pup has been super hungry because she is swimming and outside so much.  The extra skin that I pulled off the thighs is helping to round off her meals and even serve as a quick snack/treat here and there.  She doesn't have any sort of weight problem -- and dogs metabolize fat for energy anyway.  Since she is wet so much and we do not want her fur or skin to dry out, the extra fat is much needed.  We have to do what we can to avoid hot spots and fat in her diet helps.

We really get our money's worth out of cheap chicken.  After a week or two, I will go with some ground beef or another kind of meat -- just to give us a break.  Because we mix it in as part of a meal, our serving sizes are small too.  That means many meals of chicken right in a row.  After a while that can be tiresome.  But tonight, it was yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I use very small amounts of meat, too, and only eat chicken and a bit of pork. Black beans have become a favorite food. Until two years ago, I had never eaten them. And, I am not sure why. I have had black bean dip, though.

    No, it is not stealing to take abandoned, paid-for food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do enjoy a steak or some red meat -- every couple of weeks. I thought that if I left the cheese behind in the hot weather it would spoil within a short period of time -- so another good reason to rescue it!

      Delete