Sunday, August 26, 2018

Summer Score

 There is plenty of summer left, so I was happy to find another bathing suit and a pair of shoes suitable for the water.  At this point, I can't have too many comfortable bathing suits.  I wear one almost every day at home and at camp.  Having this suit means I don't have to pack one for camp -- I will leave this one there.  I will also leave these shoes there, rather than bringing the pair I found last week back and forth.  The convenience will help a lot since the shoes are rarely dry on Sunday when I need to bring them home.


I prefer plains suits like this which minimize my pudginess.  That doesn't mean I am ashamed to walk around in a bathing suit.  When I go for a swim, I don't cover up.  Afterwards, the pup and I generally take a walk -- and I see no reason to hide under anything.  I want the air to dry the suit and I want to get some sun.  This suit was $4.98. While some might get grossed out by wearing someone else's swimwear -- I wore a lot of hand-me-down bathing suits growing up.  Most of the time, women buy them and are afraid to wear them in public.  They end up at the thrifts in good condition.  If they are at all stretched out or showing elastic frays, I take a pass.
These are made by Lands End, so I know the quality is good.  They appear to have been barely worn as well.  While I generally wait for shoes to be marked down, I couldn't pass this pair up as I knew they would sell at that price and the chance of getting another bargain like this is totally unlikely.  So my old cruddy pair won't go to camp -- I am saving them for gardening.

When I shop, I use a coupon so the purchase has to be above fourteen bucks. I picked up a saute pan too -- so the whole haul was twelve and change.  I love summer and sauteing... so this was a real score!

9 comments:

  1. I don't get grossed out at wearing a bathing suit purchased at a thrift shop. In fact, I deliberately look for my boys' boxer shorts at thrift shops. The used market seems to be the only place I can find 100% cotton, 3-panel boxers with enclosed waistbands. I just ordered some higher end brand names, (Polo and Tommy Hilfiger) and sure enough, when they arrived, I saw that while they are indeed 3-panel, the elastic is not enclosed in fabric! I purchased a pair of the same brand at the thrift shop and they were better made with a fully encased elastic waistband! The way I see it, why not let somebody else do the legwork and pay the markup? I have a hot water cycle in my washing machine (not for "gross" factor, but to get the thrift shop/different laundry detergent smell out.) I also buy sheets, towels and sleepwear at thrift shops.
    As far as not covering up when you swim? Why the hell should anybody? WEAR WHAT YOU WANT, DAMMIT. Happy Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! One of my best memories with my last dog, was crashing in the waves with her -- while the lady I was with paced around on shore in a t-shirt covering up her suit because she was too self-conscious to take it off. Not me!

      Delete
  2. I would not be grossed out by a used swim suit! I do agree with Meg B about getting the other detergent smell out. I want swim shoes, but they hurt my toes, even in a larger size. I don't know how to get past this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do struggle with the "thrift store smell" when I buy stuff that can't be put through a hot water wash, but the chlorine or other chemicals in a pool will take care of that in one swim. In the lake/river, it's no big deal to me!

      Delete
  3. Anything at a thrift shop can be washed - then it is new to you and like brand new! I find it difficult to find decent bathing suits though so don't tend to try on them at thrifts due to weird sizing issues (I'd be there all day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't try them on either, so sometimes I get a dud!

      Alex

      Delete
  4. I really can't remember the last time I bought a new suit, mine are all hand me downs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally buy the suits I use for lap swimming new, but I found the same brand and style in my size at a thrift once -- and boy did that make me happy!

      Alex

      Delete
  5. Thank you blog admin for this wonderful post,As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS & Gastro Disorder and herpes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my everything and the symptoms were terrible, she always complained of heavy menstruation, and she always had difficulty falling asleep . We tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and I saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who has the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and he has herbal cure for Herpes,HIV/Aids,Diabetes,Neuro Disease,Cancer,Back Pain,COPD,Parkinson, and other disease you can visit Dr Itua herbal center website to read more www.drituaherbalcenter.com or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete