Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Marinara

 There is a farm stand down the road from our camp.  They have great produce but also stuff they hold back as "Seconds" because the product is not perfect.  Well, not perfect is fine when you want to make marinara.  Four quarts of fresh tomatoes set me back four bucks and this afternoon, I cooked it all up.  These two jars are destined for the freezer.  A smaller jar is in the fridge for another meal this week.

Dinner was some more marinara with spiralized zucchini, four large ones set me back two bucks.  Three large red and yellow peppers were two bucks too.  We will be eating colorfully this week.  This is a quick picture of what was left from my plate after I ate my fill.  I don't avoid white pasta if I mix it with high fiber veggies.  This would not have tasted right with wheat pasta.

Last year, we had a farm share and paid almost twenty bucks a week for veggies.  We had to give half of it away.  This week, I spent eight dollars and will use it all up.  No more farm shares for us.  But I'll keep on buying those "seconds" so we have plenty of sauce!

8 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely delicious.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing like marinara made from fresh tomatoes!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Now that I'm not working, I'll have time to make this more often too!

      Delete
  3. The sauce looks wonderful. When I buy fresh zucchini, I always search for the smallest ones. They just taste better to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look for ones I can fit in my small spiralizer. The smaller ones do seem to have less seeds too. I'm going to be doing this more often for the rest of the summer. I might even buy a freezer at this point...

      Delete
  4. Our farm market sells "cull" tomatoes and cucumbers at half price, usually the cucumber is as large, just has a weird curve to it (I don't buy the tomatoes as have more than I can eat right now from my own plants). I don't know why anyone would have to have perfect veggies, wish they would sell these at regular markets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you blog admin for this wonderful post,As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS & Gastro Disorder and herpes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my everything and the symptoms were terrible, she always complained of heavy menstruation, and she always had difficulty falling asleep . We tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and I saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who has the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and he has herbal cure for Herpes,HIV/Aids,Diabetes,Neuro Disease,Cancer,Back Pain,COPD,Parkinson, and other disease you can visit Dr Itua herbal center website to read more www.drituaherbalcenter.com or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete