Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Getting Smaller

I am starting to cut back even more on what we spend on food.  More to follow on that later in this post.  The basis for tonight's dinner was a whole fryer (chicken) that I got for .59 cents a pound at Save-a-Lot.  I bought the bird for $3.02 on Monday and got to work on it as soon as I got home.  Before putting it in the oven, I cut off the back and wings, then cut off all of the skin.  That provided two big meals for the dog.  I roasted the meat and then pulled it off the bones.  The bones then went into stock.  We did not have chicken for dinner on Monday as I had pork from the weekend, so I made that into burritos.  Dinner for us both and three lunches!


Dinner tonight was a stir-fry.  A bag of three red/orange/yellow peppers is $2.49 at Aldi.  I think I buy two or three bags per week.  This stir fry used two peppers, thigh meat from the bird, and a good amount of smoked Asian tofu left from a soup last week.  This was served with white jasmine rice.  My estimate is that this meal cost under five bucks to make.  We have a few large lunches out of it too.

We have started serious cost cutting because we've decided I am going to fully retire.  Working part-time hasn't turned out to be as stress-free as I thought it would and I still don't have time to get to everything we want to get done during the week.  Along with scaling back grocery spending, we're planning on changing cable/internet/phone providers.  We pay Spectrum over $200 per month!  Cutting back to the most basic TV and Internet would still only take about forty bucks off the bill.

We can get Fios for $128 per month.  They advertise their deal for $79.99, but once you figure in equipment and taxes, the amount is a whole lot more.  That should be criminal, but there isn't much of an alternative.  This would be for a bundle package and gives us everything -- if we stayed with Spectrum, we'd be giving up most of what we have now.

Since I do not plan to look for another job, now is a fine time to change my email address.  My guess (and I know it's optimistic) is that if I go into full-on frugal mode, I can slice about four hundred dollars in expenses each month.  Maybe I could do even  better than that.  Living on TBGs salary alone will be a good test for how ready we both are to actually retire -- which I hope will happen in about five years anyway.  Aside from work stress, I am also having a lot of nerve issues in my hands from working at a keyboard for over thirty years.  My fingers are numb most of the time and my arms get painful.  The best relief is when I am working around the house and moving my arms.  So I hope this will also improve.

This is a big step that might seem irresponsible, but we are hoping we can be financially responsible enough to make it work.  I'll be posting more about cheap meals and cost cutting endeavors. I'll be using my new-found time to clear junk out of the house.  This  business of living small takes a lot of time and I'm going to focus back on doing it.

20 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo!!!!!! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you that you've decided to take the leap. And shaving $400/month off of your expenses sounds quite impressive. Isn't Save-a-Lot wonderful? It may not be fancy, but it's the best food prices I've found for most things. Here's hoping those nerve issues improve with less time on the keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do still tend more towards Aldi, but once I have more time, Save-a-Lot will be back in the rotation!

      Delete
    2. Well... we don't have Aldi, so I can't compare. :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I know it is different in the UK and I don't know your arrangements, but I haven't found it at all difficult to 'manage' on my pensions and it is lovely to have the time as well as the improved health. You will do fine, I am sure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a promise to TBG that I would not stress out about money so that we really can try to live a more liberating lifestyle. It's a bit harder in the US, but I think we will manage.

      Delete
  3. Spectrum is ridiculous, way too high. However, they may be out of NY sooner rather than later. I am hoping there will be another carrier with more affordable pricing.
    Is it possible that you could have carpel tunnel? I had the surgery in my late 40's and it was instant relief and I healed pretty quickly.
    Good for you being able to retire early. Life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was carpal tunnel but was advised the problem is with my elbows. If it doesn't improve, I will go back to the doctor. I was out on workers comp for it once, but it was for the other arm -- and rest did do the trick. So I am hopeful!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your decision to retire! I am leaving my full-time job on the 17th too. Going back to consulting part-time after a long vacation time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always feel better when people share like this with me. We'll be sharing more similar experiences!

      Delete
  5. We cut the cable years ago. We pay about $90.00 a month for high speed internet. We have a good quality Netgear cable/Modem and a Roku. We pay for Amazon Prime once a year which I think is now $120, and 7.99 each for Hulu and Netflix monthly. No cable. No contracts. We don't watch sports so that could make a difference for you. Oh, and we have a digital antenna for local channels. Many people are going this route because it's much cheaper than those cable bundles which start out cheap, but then balloon later on. As for food, this is my big fail. I'm spending waaay too much at the grocery store and in 3 days my fridge is empty again. It's some kind of weird phenomenon. I refuse to shop at Walmart, so I shop the sales and Bogos at Publix. We don't have an Aldi or discount grocery nearby. Plus 10% tax is added to the total. Argh! Gla dyou're thinking about reitrement too. It's a scary thing to ponder. I bought a book to prepare me and it's mostly about finances which I don't fully understand. It says there's 80 ways to take your social security benefits. Yikes! I put the book down after that.lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are going to have to face life without a cable provider eventually, there is just so much to figure out! We were set to start SS at 62, but there are benefits to waiting. We'll decide that the closer we get. I know mine will end up being lower for my extra years not working. Oh well!

      Delete
  6. Good for you! I had to unexpectedly retire at 53 due to health. Best decision ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to be a lot about my mindset. I never took time off to have kids, so I tell people I'm back-loading my maternity leave! I have seen how well you handled it and it did have an influence on me -- just so you know!

      Delete
  7. Wow - thats huge news! You definitely can alter your spending for your new life, you already have all the skills. I am happy for you. Even if you have to adjust your financial life the freedom is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next few months will be the hardest, but we will do better in 2019 because we'll be planning for the year at the start. You did a lot of adjusting when you started your current phase of life and your experiences have helped me a lot with this. So thanks!

      Delete
  8. It certainly is not irresponsible, when your health and stress is that bad you need to make changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel very fortunate to be living a simple enough life now so that it was even a possibility. I think my stress was having a worse effect on my man. So we are doing this for his sake too.

      Delete
  9. I bought a $100 antenna about five years ago. I get what I can out of the air. I am happy with what I can get. I also have Roku. My friend did exercises every day for her hands as she had carpal tunnel syndrome and did not want surgery. There are probably exercises you can do your elbows, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some stretches that I have to re-devote myself to doing for my hands. I also need to swim more! That is one goal once I have more time. I am going to look into an antenna. I am also quite interested in Roku so I will investigate that too. Thanks for the reminders Linda!

      Delete
  10. Thank you blog admin for this wonderful post,As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from PCOS & Gastro Disorder and herpes, I decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered pcos in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my everything and the symptoms were terrible, she always complained of heavy menstruation, and she always had difficulty falling asleep . We tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and I saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many others with similar body problems, and they left the contact of this doctor who has the cure to pcos . I never imagined polycystic ovary syndrome. has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it and in one months time she was fully okay even up till this moment she is so full of life. polycystic ovary syndrome. has a cure and he has herbal cure for Herpes,HIV/Aids,Diabetes,Neuro Disease,Cancer,Back Pain,COPD,Parkinson, and other disease you can visit Dr Itua herbal center website to read more www.drituaherbalcenter.com or email drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete