Monday, June 25, 2018

My Life of Pottery

 So, I've decided to indulge myself.  While I won't go over-board decorating with objects, I've decided I want to use a little bit of pottery to accessorize the living and dining rooms.  This "Black Betty" style teapot seemed to fit the dining room.  I can use it for flowers too.  I found it at a flea market this weekend for five bucks.  It is in perfect condition.

This pot has a "Rockingham Glaze" finish used by many pottery companies (such as Roseville).  It is not the traditional short and fat teapot.  Apparently the original Brown Betties were taller and more like coffee carafes -- like this one.  I don't think this is a relic or particularly valuable, but I like the earthy look of it. 
This is a Haeger bud vase.  It has an orange crackle finish but is white on the inside.  It just looked groovy and post-modern to me.  I have it set on the upside-down torpedo shell between the dining and living rooms.  Those are flowers from our garden.


I thought the shape and color of the vase matched the style of the chair and the palette in the print behind it.  It's not going to add much on to my chore list as far as dusting goes, so I guess it won't do any harm to have it there just for decorative purposes.

I only pick up older pieces that fit into my idea of 50's - 70's style pottery (California or other regional craft areas).  Going to Home Goods or Marshalls to find something new holds no interest for me.  I guess I'm always going to look for the "quirk" factor.

Although I've been vowing not to "decorate," I guess I just can't help myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment