Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Smell the Roses

I didn't have to wake up to smell these... just unpack my grocery bag from Aldi.  When I see bouquets of a half dozen roses for $3.99, I'll generally go for it.  That is such a good price for a little something out of the ordinary.  My favorite color for roses, is yellow.  While these aren't super luxury florist flowers, they are still roses!

We've had a couple of "smell the roses" moments lately.  One reason I quit my job was that with two of us working so many hours, we were missing the good times.  When you are stressed and unhappy, you see the world through a frantic set of lenses.  Now I can see the world through "rose-colored" glasses.  With a less frantic pace, we can take the time to enjoy our experiences.  Have a cleaner house and flowers on the table is really nice!

I've had a number of "smell the roses" wake-up calls too.  Three people I know have died this spring.  Two of them were former colleagues.  From that job, another woman had died a few years earlier.  All had been in their early 70's.  Three weeks ago, a lady from camp who had just retired a few years before, died suddenly of a stroke.  As we have neared retirement, it seems that each year someone we know who has recently retired has passed away.

Our goal is to retire as soon as we can.  For me, I am half-way there by working part time.  If we continue to see our savings grow, TBG may be able to leave his job at 60.  He would find an easier and more fulfilling full-time job so we could have health insurance.  But our goal is not to work as long as we can.  Financial planners write articles about putting off retirement until 70.  That is not our plan.  We want to have years to enjoy and seeing so many others who did not have time to enjoy their retirement, we feel it's important to make sure we have many years to enjoy after our careers.

Saving is an important part of that goal, but not so scrupulously that I can't see fit to put flowers on my table!

6 comments:

  1. I retired in 2016 at the age of 61 and I love it! My family has a bad record for being short-lived, so I have my retirement plan as a "paycheck" and signed up for social security at 62 and am using that to fund my health insurance until medicare age. There are no extravagant vacations, designer bags or fancy cars in my budget, but I live a comfortable life and am stress free and happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is something I am glad to hear! I suspect I might make it to 84 because my mom and grandmother did. However both TBG and I have a parent that died before they had a chance to retire. So we aren't taking anything for granted either!

      Delete
  2. It is finding the balance between having enough income to enjoy your retirement and having the time to enjoy your retirement, isn't it. I would hate to have worked until 70 and I'm really not sure I would have done a good job by then anyway, not in teaching and I've never done anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My job now is something I might be able to carry on in some capacity past 62, but I am friends with my boss and her hubby and I know he has plans to retire too!

      Delete
  3. It seems like you all have found a nice balance and are on the same page, what blessings! I am younger than my DH, he retires this fall and I am at least taking a break to figure out my next move. Your blog is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I really hadn't thought about semi-retirement until a colleague at my last job was planning for it. She is much younger than her husband too. Unfortunately, their accountant told them they can't afford it. I think it could be possible for more people if they adjusted their lifestyles.

      Delete