Monday, April 2, 2018

Beer Bread

I made more beer bread this weekend.  TBG did not finish the entire growler from a few weeks back and I am loath to let good beer go to waste.  This time I made two loaves.  I will bring some into work -- maybe on Wednesday.  The dough was 80% white whole wheat and the rest was all purpose white.  I added in some extra wheat gluten.  I love baking bread in my convection oven because the outside is crispy while the inside stays moist.


The presence of beer is not overwhelming.  You catch a slight edge of bitterness and that is not a negative -- it gives it a sort of sharp flavor.  This is a very savory bread.  It is awesome with cheese.  If you toast it, you do smell the beer and that is also very nice.

Tomorrow is "Souper Tuesday" and I've made an Udon noodle soup.  I don't know that bread and cheese will pair that well.  We'll just nosh on Wednesday.  I like being able to use something that would have otherwise been thrown away.  I can make a couple of loaves for about a buck and a half.  The main cost is the flour.  My neighbors tell me that they can smell when I am baking bread.  One of them is on a low-carb/no bread diet, so I think it might be mean to bring over a loaf!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed our beer bread, but it sometimes sits a bit heavy in my tummy. Nice and absorbent though with some soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find when I use a darker beer, it feels heavy. Then again, there's nothing like a hearty bread to fill you up! We had some last night with sausage and peppers with sauce over it. TBG toasted it in the broiler first. It saved me from having to make pasta or rice.

      Delete
  2. I have never made beer bread as we don't drink. We do buy beer for the Slugs. I mean real Slugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, we used to do that when I was a kid. I hated seeing them drowned like that. One reason I love Western NY, is that we don't get them in our yard at all. I hate them more than almost anything in the world!

      Delete