Sunday, April 15, 2018

Scrounging Around the Dollar Tree Again....

By now, anyone who reads this blog knows I have a bad Dollar Tree addiction.  This is partially due to the fact that there is always something I need, then other things catch my eye.  My last trip originated with a need for trash can deodorizers, window washing refill (I know I could use vinegar, but for our glass shower door, the blue stuff works best!), and a cheap carton of eggs.  DT sells eight eggs for a buck and if I'm in the mood to bake a treat for work, I use those rather than the brown organic eggs we hard boil.  The large jug of blue stuff is enough to fill three spray bottles, which works for me!


No longer being a couponer, I rely on sales and cheap bonus sizes for toothpaste.  I picked up two tubes because we had actually been close to the end of our last.  Now that I am not taking a shower at night anymore, I like to have wet-wipes by my bed so I can clean off my feet before sliding between the sheets.  I'm a bit crazy like that.  I don't think you should be getting into bed with dirty feet.  If I've tried a mascara and it doesn't make my eyes tear, I will buy it when it is on sale or a good price.  The Wet & Wild Enhance mascara generally goes for about five bucks so a dollar works for me.

It is time to start stocking up for camp.  We will need smaller sizes of things because our lack of shelf space.  The bathroom vanity is tiny, so now we have the right sized bottles of mouthwash.  This stash will last the summer.  And I got the anti-cavity rinse for me -- we dropped dental insurance so I am doing everything I can to keep our chompers intact!

We also need small sizes of condiments because RV refrigerators are small.  The problem is that you pay a premium for small in the grocery store.  That's why I like to get things like mayonnaise at the DT.  I also buy boxed milk because that can sit in our cupboard until it's needed and has a long shelf life.  I will buy fresh milk when possible, but there are times you realize you need milk and don't want to have to get in the car to go to the store.


I also made a stop into Big Lots -- I go there at least once per week to see what I can find.  We like V8 juice in cans for convenience to have something to bring to work.  Buying a large jar and bringing in some in a glass bottle doesn't work -- we don't have the fridge space (hey, I have all that iced tea).  While I prefer to have the low-sodium version, I'm not adverse to a good deal!  Big Lots had the six pack in the 11.5 oz size for $3.75 which is a dollar below a good grocery store price.  So I picked up four.  We also like Triscuit crackers and I can generally get them for two bucks a box -- cheaper than most sale prices and even lower than most store-brand versions.  They had my favorite blend -- Hint of Salt.

I like shopping discount outlets to find stuff that most people would go to a super-market or drug store for.  The deals are often better and even if you have to hunt for things, after a while, you get an idea of what you will probably find.




10 comments:

  1. I'm assuming Dollar Tree is a shop? I think getting that balance between convenience and frugality is the way to go!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dollar Tree is a retail chain here in the US. We have those stores that are like mini-markets and are very expensive convenience substitutes for the super-market -- which I avoid! The thing is, the Dollar Tree is more convenient than the grocery store and sells all this good stuff, so it has become my go-to convenience store too!

      Delete
  2. Is that window washer that goes in the car for washing the windshield with the wipers? You are making me crazy! I have to go to DT, although there is nothing you bought this week that I would buy. There is a toothpaste that promises to clean below the gum line. I think it is Crest or Colgate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This isn't the kind for windshields, but they do sell that too. I can't always find it. It is ammonia-based and you find it along the shelves with all of the other household cleanser. I don't know if it's optimal or a good idea to use it as windshield washer fluid. This jug is smaller than what you'd normally buy the washer fluid in.

      Delete
  3. I imagine Dollar Tree must be like the Uk's Poundland. Is everything a dollar? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything is a dollar -- which also makes it easy to figure out how much your order is going to cost before you go to the checkout!

      Delete
  4. Once you've purchased a smaller sized container, such as for the mayo, do you refill it once you are home, taking the additional contents from a typical, larger sized container? or is the RV stored away from your home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we keep the RV away from home, we don't refill the smaller sizes. That's why getting them cheap helps. If I have to go out to a store at camp, I generally have to buy a full size at the store and it also costs more. There are things like pump handsoap where I buy the larger refill and then refill the two bottles on both sinks (bathroom/kitchen). But mostly, we discard the small sizes when we're done.

      Delete
  5. you really did get some good buys, your American Dollar Tree has so much more than the one here in my Canadian town, I really like Dollare Tree though, its far better than our Dollarama , thats a dollar store that started out as a dollar and now has things !.25 to 4.oo ,, inflation!!! Everything in our Canadian Dollar Tree is 1.25 , it has lots of American brands so lots of choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a variety of versions of the Dollar Tree type of store, but I like DT the best because you always know the price!

      Delete