Saturday, April 21, 2018

Saturday Splurge

We had a nice dinner at home tonight.  A sirloin steak cooked to near-done by the sous-vide, then finished on the grill and topped with Gorgonzola cheese.  The sides were asparagus, roasted red potatoes and a salad with greens, red peppers, mushrooms, onions and blueberries.  For the wine, 19 Crimes -- whatever red blend it is that TBG gets.  I'm not particular!

We don't actually eat a lot of steak.  My favorite is NY Strip and two set us back fourteen bucks.  However, since we don't go out to dinner on Friday night anymore, I can rationalize having a special meal like this weekly at home.  Our day was an easy Saturday for a change.  TBG didn't have to work -- but he did do some clean-up in the yard.  We went to breakfast at a local diner and then took the Benz out for a long drive.  We drove down the lake shore to the Town of Evans, turning around at Sturgeon Point.  You can see a nice vista of the City of Buffalo in the distance. The car drove really well too.  It did need to have some time at a higher speed, to have the gas and fluids running through the engine after being put away all summer. It also reminded me why I like driving it so much.

I spent some time at my sewing machine -- a pursuit I am particularly unsuited for.  The goal was to see what I could do with some extra fabric and a way over-sized t-shirt.  After cutting the shirt off a little past the arm  holes, I sewed on some spare fabric left from making curtains many years ago at the old house.  The material gathers under the bust.  While the concept is workable, the piece turned out to be way too big.  However, I'll wash it a few times and see if it is worth it to wear around the house.  A seamstress, I am not!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend, and your dinner looks so good. My favorite steak is ribeye, which I only buy on sale. You and I are in the same boat when it comes to sewing. I have no patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I start sewing, I remember how much I hate it!

      Delete