Thursday, April 12, 2018

Second Sight

I am always thinking about what I can do with something next.  My whole obsession with re-using packing paper has been a past topic.  Today we got in an order with two rolls of tracing paper -- packed in lots of paper.  One long run of it.  I hope I didn't drive the architects too crazy unfolding and re-folding it.  That used to drive a former boss of mine crazy.  Then again, I am working in a "green" office where we're all about restoring, recycling and re-using.  A lot of presents can be wrapped or a lot of bags stuffed with this paper.



I knew I'd be making pizza out of some of the left-over meat loaf.  I also had dough starter on hand, so it was the perfect dinner solution last night.  The base was made from part of a can of San Marzano tomatoes -- I squish them up in my hands.  Then I had a partial jar of Barilla pesto in the fridge.  I found that at the Dollar Tree for a buck a jar and whenever I can, I stock up on it.  It is topped with grated Asiago, Parmesan and crumbled feta. 

Our oven has a setting just for pizza.  It rotates heating from the top to the bottom sides.  It is an awesome feature and it means your crust is crispy because it's getting heat from below, but the cheese is melty because it gets heat from above.  If the pizza is not too thick, the top side of the crust doesn't get under-cooked.

I got out of work early today since I worked an hour later on Monday.  TBG and I actually ate lunch together!  We finished off left-over ravioli with lentils and split a piece of pizza.  So much of our life takes advantage of using things two or three times.  Every time I am faced with something that remains from either a meal or a product/project, I need to think about what's happening to it the second time around.  We do pretty well!

4 comments:

  1. SOmetimes I bake the pizza base first and add the toppings for the last ten minutes or so - that seems to work well. Your pizzas look absolutely delicious!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that when I am going to have more toppings. It isn't great when the inside layer of the dough is not fully cooked!

      Delete
  2. The pizza looks fabulous! I wish we had better offerings at our dollar stores in Canada. Rarely do they have food you actually want to purchase and never do they have fresh fod. Pesto here costs at least $3-4 and my basil keeps getting eaten by bugs outside so no homemade pesto for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy oodles of the pesto when it is in the Dollar Tree like that. Not all of the DTs around me have the same stuff. The one I like best is pretty high volume so they are more likely to have food like this (and better make-up) than some of the lower volume stores. Can you plant anything around the basil (lemon balm, etc.)? I know that stuff can take over the garden, but I have heard it may discourage bugs. Luckily, we have done well with fresh basil in our garden.

      Delete