Tuesday, April 17, 2018

He's Good to Have Around....

Nobody in our house is particularly handy, but I am lucky that TBG is "in the trades."  Somehow, the condensing unit got knocked off our furnace last week and all the condensation was draining on to the floor.  Not to worry, he sells these things through his job, so he brought one home and had a contractor install it.  We feel it's better to leave that stuff up to the professionals -- and they generally give him a price break on the labor as a courtesy.  It was an easy fix and we got the part at cost.  I like that I don't have to worry about that kind of thing.

When I hurt my neck, he made me a delicious mushroom stroganoff.   Since there were still cremini mushrooms left-over, he decided to make Chicken Marsala for dinner on Saturday.  I baked the bread and served the salad out of the bag.  He had in his mind what wine he wanted to serve and picked up chocolate biscotti for dessert.


I tend not to want to order chicken when we eat out.  It seems a huge waste of money because it's a cheap thing to buy and it gets marked up more than anything else.  It's unfortunate I did not style the plate better, because this dish tasted really good.  We will have plenty for lunch tomorrow.  The breasts were $1.69 per pound and we used just one thick one for two portions.  I will cook the rest of the poultry in the Sous Vide for other meals during the week.


I would much rather enjoy a nicely made meal at home that we can cook for a fraction of the cost, and enjoy it with a reasonable bottle of wine.  It is worth it for me to dine out in order to enjoy something we are not capable or don't have a reason to have the basic ingredients for at home.  And in this instance, with high winds, cold temperatures and lots of sleet in the area, it made a whole lot of sense to stay home.

Besides, there is no one else I'd rather be stuck at home with!

1 comment: