Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Bread Crumbs!

I know it's a small thing, but since I hate to waste, I saw no reason to throw away left-over bread crumbs from our breaded cod dinner on Sunday.  I just sealed them up and planned to use them for meatloaf tonight.


It's probably my Greek heritage (on mom's side) that makes me crave lamb.  When I think meatloaf, I think of lamb and beef, nutmeg in the seasoning and feta cheese.  Along with egg, onion and other spices, I soaked the bread crumbs in milk.  Once I squeezed the excess out, I mixed it all together.  When I make a mixed protein loaf like that, I cook to the higher temperature of the lamb.  Since I soaked the bread crumbs, the meat stayed moist.  Beef has a lower "done" temperature, so this really helps.

It was Souper Tuesday at work again today.  I made my stock and chicken from thigh quarters.  I used chicken stock with a large can of mushed up San Marzano tomatoes, then a little extra tomato paste.  In addition to the poultry, I added barley and green beans, adding some creaminess with a small log of goat cheese.  The architects ate it all up.  One of the designers always takes a picture of his soup and sends it to his girlfriend so she can see what he's got.

TBG makes an awesome cream of mushroom soup and wants to make us a pot.  Um, yes please!  I always manage to make at least one meal for us when I'm making the soup.  This week I have two extra jars of stock left over.  With that, and other left-overs, I won't have to start another meal from scratch for the rest of the week.

Bread crumbs may be a small thing, but every little bit helps!



6 comments:

  1. I hope you get the recipe for the mushroom soup. I would save the breadcrumbs to use later, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wing it on my own a lot -- but TBG follows a recipe and does a great job!

      Delete
  2. I find breadcrumbs are a positive addition to home made burgers or meatballs too. I hardly ever have wasted bread now I use the freezer so much but, if I do, they get zizzed into breadcrumbs and then frozen. Really useful!
    Lamb is lovely - I just wish it wasn't so expensive.
    Your soup sounds utterly delicious!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only splurge on ground lamb. One of the markets I use sells grass fed for $7 bucks a pound, which puts it in an acceptable price range.

      Delete
  3. Your version of meatloaf sounds tasty! I tend to use a pork/beef combo but love the idea of nutmeg and feta cheese, two of my favorite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like pork a lot and sometimes use that. Especially for meatballs. But for a meatloaf, I'll take lamb any day!

      Delete