Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Adventures in Stain Removal

 This pale version of tie-dye is my attempt to obliterate a stain that I could not wash out.  There was a grease stain from either something I dribbled or that splattered on me while cooking.  No stain removal technique worked so I decided to play with rubber bands and bleach.  I succeeded in getting rid of the stain and fading the shirt and while it's not perfect, it basically saved the shirt.

The center spot of this pattern was the stain.  I made that the center of the exposed fabric and rubber banded in two rings below it.  Then I filled a bucket with 1/3 bleach and 2/3 water (hey, I'm not an exact sorta girl).  It was about a half bucket of solution when it was all said and done.  I only dipped it in for about three minutes.  Then I pulled it out and rinsed it a few times.   After that I pulled off the rubber bands and rinsed a bit more before wringing it out and setting it out in the sun.


Here is another view of the pattern.  It's pretty subtle.  But the  main thing is that I was able to use these patterns and mask the stain.  It contrasts more in person, but it is still very faded.

This is a trick I'll use again.  I just need to refine my technique.  There are just too many shirts that I ruin with stains that I had to figure out a way to salvage them.  Not sure if others want to try this or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to offer it up as an alternative method to rescue a stained piece of clothing.

8 comments:

  1. I am forever ruining clothes cooking. I could wear an apron but seldom do. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few cute aprons that tie at the waist but only one full apron -- and I am forever having to catch myself or remind myself to wear it. Most of my problems occur above the waist -- probably because that is such a big target!

      Delete
  2. a dab of dish washing detergent, rubbed in, if not cheapo shampoo often does the trick. I also swear by LA's totally awesome orange degreaser as a laundry aid. I recently stripped some laundry: soaked in hot water with ammonia, rinsed and drained in the washer then repeated the hot soak followed by rinse and soak in the washer, this second time, using borax and washing soda, worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips -- I have a few shirts of TBG that he wouldn't want my solution for!

      Delete
  3. Although I say use caution if you try yourself (be ready to toss your clothing), I spray w-d40 on the item to wake the grease stain up then add baby powder and let sit. Wash with degreaser and laundry soap. Generally this has been successful for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is worth trying on something I would have thrown out anyway. I did find a small tube of Goof-Off for grease stains and I bet I could use that after the WD-40 "woke up" the stain. It didn't do much on an old stain but helped with a new one.

      Delete
  4. I am an avid user of biz bleach, I have seen it take out so many stains including grease. It is not sold in all states. Let me know if you can't find it and I will send you some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe I've seen it! I did also want a tie-dye shirt, so this gave me a good reason to make one without having to use dye.

      Delete