Sunday, July 1, 2018

Full Frontal

 We've spent the past two days working on the small grounds of Chez Petite.  It never ceases to amaze me how such a small house and yard can require so much work.  Here is how we are looking up front.  While we plan to have the entire exterior replaced this summer, I still do not have the formal plans in hand.  The architects and designers at work are tied up with paying projects, so my freebie takes a back seat.  Our plan was not to put in too much time and effort up front because the yard will get trampled and it's likely the front bed will have to be moved forward.  However, it was past the point of looking nice, so we decided to work on it.  Maybe now that it's been addressed, reverse luck will deliver the plans that will require us to destroy it!


The small maple is coming in so nicely.  In the past, we'd had small Christmas lights in it that TBG opted to leave in place during the summer.  Since they weren't working, we removed them when the leaves were all gone.  The strings were probably restricting the growth  because now it is coming in nice and full.  One splurge I made was a purchase of crackled glass solar lights from QVC.  I am keeping fingers crossed that they are not stolen.  Neighbors a few houses down had their projector stolen at Christmas, so while where we are is a safe neighborhood, there is a lot of traffic back and forth between the bus stop and rental properties further down the street.  Let's hope no one really notices that they are worth taking.

We always do a row of wave petunias in the front.  They have done well for us the past few years and grow in nice and full.  The lights in the bed are staggered so that they show in front of and behind the foliage.  Since we don't have a bright light out front, the subtle effect is very nice.  As for the likelihood of them being taken, one thing in our favor is a dog that barks when anyone comes near the front door.  Generally we just tell her to knock it off, but at this point, I'll probably look out the window to be sure the lights are staying put.

Our weather has been awfully hot, as I am sure is the case with everyone else reading this in the US.  Gardening in the heat is not one of my more favorite activities, and I'm hoping that we can get enough watering done that everything rides out this heatwave alive.  Is anyone else working on their front yard?  What are you planting this year?

8 comments:

  1. Since I was having my house painted this summer, I put most of my flowers in pots. I planted coral and orange-colored geraniums, orange gerbera daisies, orange cockscombs and a red mandevilla. Next year, I plan to put in new flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a sensible plan. My biggest worry is how the tree will do if we have to dig it up and move it forward. I really do love container gardening, big planters, etc. One day I hope to only be worried about a terrace or patio and will enjoy being able to just use containers!

      Delete
  2. It's really hot here in the UK too with little or no rain. I have a small front garden which is mostly standing space but with a thin strip just in front of the house that has mostly perennials - dahlias, crocosmia, a couple of variegated bushes, etc. I need one more thing to fill a gap but it's in shade most of the day so it doesn't suit all plants. Your front garden looks really lovely and I hope there's not too much damage when they do the exterior work. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe you could plant some sort of herb? They are really tolerant of all sorts of situation. Something like a creeping thyme?

      Delete
  3. Your house has great curb appeal. I love the big flower pots out by the sidewalk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The picture doesn't capture it, but there are really five pots. Three hostas and two black-eyed susans. TBG sent me out for five pots and as soon as I saw those in blue, I had to have them. Best of all, I think they were only nine bucks a piece. I thought they would really pop in front of the house. I just need to be sure he takes them in at the end of the season so they are not decimated in the winter.

      Delete
  4. I love the way your house looks right now! I can't imagine what you would do to make it appear any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately, if you look at the West and South sides, you would see that the siding is flaking off paint and crumbling. The front still looks really nice, but the rest is a mess! Also, the concrete on the front stoop is beginning to crumble in spots. Once we pull it all off, we are going to give an insulating wrap that will help with our heating and cooling bills. Trust me, it really does need to get done!

      Delete