Monday, July 23, 2018

Plastic Update

This business of giving up plastic is not as simple as I thought.  Well, I didn't really think it would be easy.  I am making a point to buy liquid items in glass jars whenever possible.  But then there are some items you just can't find in anything but plastic -- like laundry and dish-washing liquid, hair products, deodorant, etc.  Unless I am at  a farmer's market, most berries are in a plastic container.  I would probably have to say my use of things like bagged salad and frozen veggies is also a fail.

This week, I mixed up peanut, cashew and almond butter to make my nut butter mix.  All of the containers were plastic.  That is all they had at the store I shopped at.  I will have to try better and check at Wegmans. The English muffins I eat for breakfast come in a plastic bag.

I will still try to buy as much non-plastic packaging as possible, but it sure is hard!

6 comments:

  1. The nut butter mix sounds interesting. What are your favorite ways to use it? I try to use glass for a lot of storage, but even vinegar comes in plastic these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat an English muffin with nut butter and jelly for breakfast every morning. If I am hungry in the middle of the night, I spread that on a frozen waffle (lightly toasted) that I fold in half. Of course, every pill we give the puppy is covered in it. I do let her lick the bowl when I'm done mixing -- it makes it much easier to clean! I love using glass peanut butter jars for storage, they are a perfect size and shape.

      Delete
  2. Smucker's peanut butter comes in glass jars that have straight sides and are wonderful for storing. Heinz vinegar comes in qt jars. However, I want a gallon which always comes in plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smuckers is my preference too. It's not sold at Aldi or Price Rite, so I don't always buy it. There is an organic brand that I buy if it's on sale that is also in glass jars. I also need to buy vinegar by the gallon. I would go through quart jars too quickly!

      Delete
  3. What drives me bananas is that we can recycle plastic but there is no glass market so can't recycle that and there is only so much I can keep for other uses! I guess the only options are buy in the absolute largest quantity so you have to get rid of the packaging less :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, we can recycle glass. I would prefer larger sizes, but you know how hard that can be in a small house with limited space!

      Delete