Saturday, July 14, 2018

Farmers Market

I drove up to "NT" (that's North Tonawanda to us Buffalonians)  for their farmer's market this morning.  There was an Estate Sale that lured me in on the way -- a total waste of over-priced time.  Once at the market, I was thinking about plants and maybe tomatoes.  Well, I was lured over to one of the honey stands instead.  Just like at camp, I could not resist a jar of creamed honey.  We love it and the other jar is at camp -- honey doesn't go bad so we wanted to enjoy it there.  This jar was five bucks -- that was with the seller giving me a dollar discount because the jar was sticky.  She cleaned it up anyway!  We will see how Niagara County honey compares to Wayne County. I expect it to be delicious!

As for plants, I had been thinking about flowers but was instead drawn to foliage.  The coleus plants were two dollars each and I wanted them because of their size.  Ours at home were not that tall yet.  This leaf pattern is different from others we have.  I also got four small "fiber optic" grasses.  They are supposed to grow fast and fill out.  The succulents were two bucks each too.

We planted a coleus and two grasses in the brown planters.  This is the area between those two blue bottles.  The mirror had a wooden frame, but it broke. I have it propped against the fence in back of the hosta -- and I hope that doesn't lead to the hosta being baked in the afternoon sun.  I want to put a few solar lights there to reflect at night.  I like mirrors in gardens at night.

I could have bought veggies but we have an invite over at Jim's (Art of Gardening blogger) tonight and I plan to grill with a salad tomorrow  night.  The veggies from the  market are fresh but since they aren't loaded with pesticides, they often ripen so fast that they don't make it far into the week.

The foliage purchases made me happy enough and I'll post the planters with the succulents, once I am done with them.  Farmer's Markets aren't only about food!

6 comments:

  1. My first purchase at our farmer's market this year was honey! So delicious! The local Hutterite Colony is our vendor. They also have wonderful chicken pot pies, pickles, baked goods, as well as fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I love about the plain raw honey, is that you can add to it -- vanilla, or cinnamon, lemon, etc. I think the most important part is that it is produced by people who care about the bees, the honey, etc. I need to branch out into other things like baked goods, etc. too.

      Delete
  2. We are fortunate. Our son-in-law's family are beekeepers and on holidays will share their honey and also the wild rice they harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky! The woman at the Sodus market told me I should try keeping bees but it seems like a lot of work. How fortunate that someone close to does this.

      Delete
  3. I had a mirror outside for my hens. they loved the mirror. So did wild birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that would provide a lot of interest and entertainment for birds. I do like that it makes the hosta look twice as big.

      Delete