Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Summer Spaghetti

A large tray of boneless skinless thighs was a little over five bucks; $1.99 per pound, six thighs.  They were slowly cooked in the Sous Vide -- 150 degrees (f) for an hour.  I put them in a freezer zippy with oil, fresh lemon, and a "Renaissance" rub.  Three were set aside for dinner tonight and three were set aside for tomorrow.  We only actually needed two and a half.

Thighs are great for the Sous Vide because they are high in cartilage/collagen.  They stay moist and tender.  While many sources say to throw out the juices that are rendered, I always save that for another use.  In our case, it was the base for the pasta sauce.

I had sauteed flour and oil as a thickening base, then added spiralized yellow and green zucchini, with some red onion.  Once that got going, I added the juice to bring it to a boil, then some canned diced tomatoes. The chopped chicken went in at the end in order to avoid it being over-cooked.

We also added some spiralized carrot to the pasta during the last couple of minutes.  Once it was all mixed up, it was topped with grated parm.

All told, we had two big dinner servings and a mound of it left for lunch.  I like summer squash in spaghetti during the warm weather when the squash is in season.  While there was plenty of plant-based fat in the meal, it was still a very healthy dinner.  It was pretty cheap too since everything was in season.

We could never go carb-free but I feel OK with that since we eat lots of veggies with our pasta. Plus I love pasta too much to give it up!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh, and it was a delicious lunch today too!!!

      Delete
  2. That looks good. And I'm starving, too. And I'm a carb lover, which is not so great for diabetics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could eat spaghetti everyday myself. At least this way, I am cutting down on the white flour component. I know carrots are higher in carbs, but they also have a lot of fiber. I do think I'll need to buy a better spiralizer. My hand-held model is a pain to use.

      Delete