Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Swimmies!

Teddy and I had a fabulous swim today.  The weather was very warm, the water felt great and there were hardly any people at the park.  We swam for a half an hour then did a short walk.  I have no shame -- I am chubby (OK, fat) but am willing to take a walk in my bathing suit.

When we got home, Teddy got a rinse and light shampoo.  We do that after each swim once the water starts to warm up in order to be sure all algae and possible allergens get washed from her coat.

This is actually an older picture.  It's not possible to take a selfie in the water -- and we don't do selfies anyway.  We got our swim in early enough to avoid the torrential downpour that hit around dinner time, which is when we often go with together with TBG.

Now, the only thing I have left to do, is comb her.  We brush her every time she gets wet, so no fungus can grown under her coat.  That also helps her avoid scratching and keeps her fur smelling clean.  Swimming is fun, but it is also some work!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good time. Even fun requires a bit of work, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice way to cool off in the summer. I was so proud, Buddy is 3 and we finally finally got him to swim for a few feet the other day. Previously he was fine with wading but scared to swim. I kind of encouraged (as in drug) him slowly in and he started dog paddling then hubby picked him up a few feet away from me and let him swim to me - we did this four times so he knew he would be fine! He gets cold easy though, even when it is plus 27 celcius out he was shivering until we fully dried him off. Then came a big bath when we got home as he was swimming in the ocean and that sand and silt gets everywhere in his fur, something we have to do even when he goes wading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to swim Teddy in an ocean but she would drink too much salt water and make herself sick. Buddy seems to be smart enough not to do that. I had heard salt water can be good for their skin if they have hot spots or skin allergies -- but you do still need to rinse/bathe them afterwards. Your water is a lot colder than ours too!

      Delete
  3. My friend swam in a river near here and took her old, huge, long-haired dog. She said she did that so she could bathe him. He always had fungus and so did she. She did not think a bath at home was necessary. I kept telling her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst year we had for hot spots was one when I didn't regularly bathe or rinse her after our swims. I learned a very expensive lesson. Some summers, even my skin gets dried from the algae. Short hair (on the dog) is also absolutely necessary!

      Delete