Sunday, July 8, 2018

America Needs Immigrants!

 On the tails of our most patriotic American holiday, I want to say "thank you" to those who have come to our country and continue to try to do so in order to start a new life. I don't believe we should only open our borders to the highly educated.  Our country needs good people who are willing to work.  People like the farmers I bought my fruit and veggies from at the Sodus Farmer's Market last Wednesday.  The farms in Wayne County depend on immigrant labor -- and many of those workers end up becoming farm owners themselves.

 This quart of berries was four dollars.  The peppers were two dollars.  The lettuce was also two dollars.  The farmers who grew the strawberries were Mexican, and the produce farmers were from Jamaica.  These weren't people who came here to commit crimes. They aren't people that some Americans would call "the  best their country has to offer" either (they aren't doctors, engineers or professionals).  They are just regular people who are willing to work hard -- something our country needs.  We shouldn't keep them out.

My guilty pleasure from a non-immigrant farmer, were a couple of honey-based products.  The creamed raw honey was a big hit with our camp friends -- we hosted and were invited to a number of dinners and we brought raw honey to spread on crackers and to top with cheese.  The combination was amazing.  I have yet to open the jam but sure am looking forward to it.

The country farmer's market is a much better deal than the one we have here in my urban area.  Not as many of the farmers here are immigrants and they work hard too -- so I am not saying that only immigrants work hard.  But in some rural areas of the country where it is hard to attract and keep farmers, I think our best bet to keep the industry alive is to admit those from other countries that need a way to make a living with a skill they have.

In Wayne County, there is no bias that I can tell with respect to national origins and what people choose to produce.  The stuff I buy is awesome and I like seeing the people I support, talking with them, and telling them how much I like what they sell.

Any time I hear someone disparaging immigrants, I am quick to speak up like this. I hope from reading this, you will be too!

9 comments:

  1. Bravo! So true, and aren't we all immigrants, if not us then our parents or grandparents. How awful to slam the doors shut once we've been lucky enough to get in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly - even if you came over on the Mayflower unless you are an aboriginal you are an immigrant or your relatives were

      Delete
    2. There was a "joke" I know of from a ways back: "What did Indians call America before the settlers arrived?" The answer: "Ours" - I am also not happy about the way Native Americans or Slaves were treated. I feel we do need to speak up because we can!

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree 100% with you.

    My grandparents immigrated from Europe in the early 1900's, married and settled in Ransomville, NY. They owned and operated Senek Farms for many years and it has been passed down to the next generation.

    I am so tired of hearing about how immigrants don't belong here...they should go back from where they came, etc. Bottom line...the only true American is the Lakota, the Sioux, Cherokee, the Apache, the Mohawk, etc...they are original.

    If it wasn't for immigrants, past and present, we would not be the great nation that we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree Cheryl! My grandparents came from Italy and Sicily and they also settled in NY in the early 1900s. They worked very hard, long hours, for very little pay in those days.

      Delete
    2. My paternal line were farmers in Kansas who came over from Scotland -- that doesn't make them any different from our immigrants from Mexico or Jamaica.

      Delete
  3. Hear, hear! With you all the way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes my heart sad to see how refugees are being treated around the world but am especially ashamed of what is going on in my country.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, and I believe this goes beyond taking a political side -- it's about humanity.

    ReplyDelete