Friday, July 27, 2018

Jewelry Mish-Mash

These three Alex and Ani bangles were a nice garage sale find today.  At two bucks a piece, I figured I couldn't go wrong -- even if they were somewhat bereft of charms.  I can't believe how much people spend on them new -- so that was never an option for me.  But I knew I could fix these up just fine.  There were actually five of them, but I took a pass on the other two because the charms were religious -- which I am not!


My plan was to make use of odd charms and broken earrings.  Any girl who loves jewelry must keep an assortment of wire cutters and pliers on hand.  I was able to cut, snip, twist and bend my way through it.
Here's how the bangles turned out.  I think it's a happy ending for six bucks.
I don't think anyone will know these are garage sale and odds-n-ends baubles.  Of course, they'll find out because I can't keep my mouth shut.

Another thing I did this week, was sell off a bunch of old damaged and broken gold jewelry.  I got six hundred bucks for it.  It often isn't worth it to re-sell jewelry.  However, I'd had this stuff for many many years, so I ended up getting back more than I paid for it.  Since it was just sitting in my jewelry box, getting in the way, it was a worthwhile trade.

I am helplessly addicted to jewelry -- I'll buy it, break it, fix it, refashion it, and even sell it.  As long as I am able to get a bargain and it's not total junk, I'm willing to give it a try.

10 comments:

  1. I like jewelry, too. It is all costume jewelry except for the gold bracelet my daughter gave me. I do have the tools to work with jewelry and make all post earrings into clip-on. I always volunteer how they are not new! I would have skipped the religious pieces, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point, I thought to go back and buy them just for the bangle portion, but three really was enough! It is harder to find good clip-on earrings, so I see that it would be worth it to do it yourself.

      Delete
  2. I'm not a jewelry person but think they are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be a jewelry person but no more. However, when people wear nice jewelry to go with their clothes, I adore it. I have lost interest and would like to give away some of my silver jewelry to people who would wear them. I have a couple of real stuff which I wear to special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do try to wear some each day since I have so much, but sometimes get lazy and just wear the same pieces again and again. I should probably stop collecting, but I guess that is why I need to classify myself as an addict.

      Delete
  4. I think those turned out great. And they are unique - something I really like! You might have a retirement job in the making! haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that what I hate about all those trend jewelry pieces (like Pandora), is that they are so unimaginative. Yes, you can add your own pieces, but in the end they are all the same because no one wants to give up the status of adding something that wasn't part of the product line.

      I would love to make jewelry well enough to sell! Unfortunately, I don't have the talent...

      Delete
  5. I love messing around with broken jewellery, it's so rewarding! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had your talent for re-fashioning it. My attempts are nowhere near as creative as yours!

      Delete