Monday, July 9, 2018

From Garage Sale to Garden

 My best camp tag-sale buddy and I went out on Saturday and brought along a special guest -- the owner's wife.  She was brave to come along with the two of us as we get out of control.  Maybe it was a good thing that all our driving around the back roads only turned up one garage sale.  Luckily, it was a very well-priced sale and I went as far as to thank the guy for that.   I spent four bucks and found two blue glass bottles with stoppers.  These were fifty cents a piece!


 I was unable to get the stoppers out so I decided to use them for garden ornamentation as is.  One of the solar lights on the fence by the garage was gone.  I pulled it out and put a glass bottle in each holder.  If I ever get the stoppers out, I will fill them with citronella and add a wick.  I think they will look nice when the lights are on in back and all they need to do is reflect.
Another great find were old glass insulators (or whatever they are called).  Mine were priced at a buck a piece.  I see them in gardens a lot, so I thought I'd grab two and see what I could do.  They found their way into this dented planter and then I added lake rocks.  Although it's cliche, I might add a little elf, or a ceramic frog, or something like that.

I know these things used to be very popular and weren't generally cheap, but the man just needed to clear out his mother's belongings.  She passed away and he has to sell her house.  He travels 1000 miles to get there and just wanted to have her stuff sold so he can put the house on the market.

One thing I did not picture but also bought for a buck, was a Kenner Steve Austin (Six Million Dollar Man) doll.  He was intact and in very good condition and had most of the original package -- but you could still tell he was a toy that got used.  TBG and his team love action figures so I bought him for those boys.  They were very excited.  The guy could have over-priced Steve (I saw him on Ebay from $19.99 up to $99!). My friends could not believe I was jumping up and down and all excited.

I did not haggle at all. IMO, that is the way a garage sale ought to be!

13 comments:

  1. Love the blue! You are right about garage or rummage sales...some people ask way too much just to get rid of stuff they "think" is worth more. Give me a good 25 cent bargain any day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to decoupage it, then realized how stupid that would be with the cool color. There were Pyrex pieces (some blue) that were fifty cents too. I had to use some discipline there!

      Delete
  2. The bottle looks great as does the glass thingy in the planter.
    Well done on the action figure - some people are deluded with their value, aren't they? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was in pretty good condition too. In my social circle, we are big Steve Austin fans (not the modern day wrestler, though). I don't understand the toy collectors who need the dolls in the box. I kinda like that some kid had this doll back in the 70's when I would have been the same age too.

      Delete
  3. Love the insulators in the metal tub planter. Great idea. We have a bunch of those somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of cool ideas, people balancing them on sticks like mushrooms, using them as an anchor for wind chimes, etc. They can be really pricey so it was my good fortune that their price was what I had set in my mind they were worth.

      Delete
  4. The bottles are beautiful. I love those colours. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "Genie" bottle shape of them and the color is an added bonus! I would have grabbed them even if they were clear but was super happy to find them in blue.

      Delete
  5. I love those bottles. May and June are the best garage sale months here, went to a few on Saturday but didn't find much. Ended up only buying 3 books for $1(.33 each) which is pretty good since I read all the time. It drives me crazy when people over price things. I actually saw DVDs this weekend which you cannot give away right now priced at $5 each as they were only watched once....and they were bought used at a video rental place that went out of business to begin with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to buy paper-backs at thrifts and the only price I'd be willing to pay was three for a buck. DVD really are over-priced, especially because they are so easily damaged. I do find a lot of the best sales in June because people are moving after school is out.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful use of the bottles I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't planned that for them until I got home and realized that was a perfect spot!

      Delete
  7. Those are insulators. A woman in the early 80s was talking about her daughter's Cabbage Patch doll. The little girl offered she was not allowed to play with it. The mother said it was to resale later. How sad!

    I really need to get myself to a yard sale.

    ReplyDelete